This is weird

93atlsc

My 93 sc runs at a very high temperature when it rains. It cools fine on clear days, but when it rains the temp gauge runs very close to the red causing the gauge light to come on. It only does it when it rains. My coolant temp sensor is new. I was thinking that maybe the BAP sensor is bad. Anyone familiar with this problem?

My 93 sc runs at a very high temperature when it rains. It cools fine on clear days, but when it rains the temp gauge runs very close to the red causing the gauge light to come on. It only does it when it rains. My coolant temp sensor is new. I was thinking that maybe the BAP sensor is bad. Anyone familiar with this problem?

Are you sure the engine is getting hot?

Maybe the gauge isn't actually indicating a high running temp. condition?

Are you sure the temp sender is the correct one?

Did you replace the sender near the thermostat housing and not the ECT sensor near the A/C compressor?

Any other engine work done lately?

Checked your grounds?

Try your wipers on a clear day and see if that triggers the temp gauge higher...

I replaced the ECT sensor and it was correct.. No engine work done recently. The sender is fairly new. Not sure if the engine is getting hot, Im just going by the gauge. The gauge is getting extremely close to the red. Which grounds do you suggest. I'll try the wiper thing and get back to you.

Last edited:
>I replaced the ECT sensor and it was correct..

That one has nothing to do with the gauge, by the way.

>No engine work done recently. The sender is fairly new.

You might want to double check the sender for the gauge. Make sure it is the correct one for your car, and confirm the push-on connector is tight and clean.

>Not sure if the engine is getting hot, Im just going by the gauge. The gauge is getting extremely close to the red.

If the gauge was reliable and the engine was hot enough to hit the red zone, I'm pretty sure you'd know about it without looking at the gauge. It sounds like the gauge isn't reliable. If you can get your hands on a digital temp gauge (IR type), you can check around the engine itself to see what the temps actually are next time the gauge hits the red zone. Is there any excess coolant transfer to the overflow tank? Do you know what percentage anti-freeze is in the cooling system? What are the outside temperatures there now when you're out driving?

>Which grounds do you suggest.

There are two main ground cables/straps on the engine. One goes from the right side motor mount over to the body (strap, down low) - the other is buried on the left side. Make sure the connections at the battery and the strap on the right side are good , at least...clean off any green crud & consider replacement if they are too far gone - corrosion can hide inside the cable/strap coating so take a close look.

Last edited:
Back