Got me a new ride.........

re

sorry

lightning3.jpg

99 lightning

Re

It has a intake C&L elbow, intake, traction bars, and a Borla Exhaust thats it. I spent all night on the lightning site. I spent all day today cleaning and detailing it im pretty pleased with it.

If anyone has info on what to look out for please post up. Whats up with flying plugs ? I need to do some reading up on lightnings I guess.

Thanks Guys

Whats up with flying plugs ?

The heads only have 4 threads holding the plugs in, so, if you don't keep up with properly torquing the plugs they will spit out. In the 03-04 model year, they went with 8 thread heads to solve the problem.

The heads only have 4 threads holding the plugs in, so, if you don't keep up with properly torquing the plugs they will spit out. In the 03-04 model year, they went with 8 thread heads to solve the problem.

I had to do three Cab off head replacements on the 5.4L Lightning for the above reason while I was at the Ford dealer . I wouldnt dare attempt it with the cab on... The last one I did was highly modified. He had it towed in to the dealership and was absolutely pissed. The guy came in the back to my shop and was acting like a complete jerk. He told me that he had to have his truck back by the next day. I explained to him that we would be lucky to have the updated heads by the next day. He was being very irrational and I couldnt tell him anything he didnt already know. The last straw was when he told me that I would have his vehicle ready the next day. I walked him over to his truck, opened the hood, and asked him what he saw. He said "my engine". I said let me tell you what I see, a cash job not warranty. I then started naming all the aftermarket performance goodies. I told him that all I had to do was walk up front and tell my service advisor or manager, and this would be on his dime. He stood there for a few more seconds, asked me to get is done as soon as I could, thanked me and left. He came by a few days later, when it was almost done, and was as nice as could be. Im not usually like that, but man he was really pissing me off...

Thats awesome chris! I like those trucks SVT FTW!!!!! I love my focus even if it is on the slow side, still handles like a go cart haha. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

I had to do three Cab off head replacements on the 5.4L Lightning for the above reason while I was at the Ford dealer . I wouldnt dare attempt it with the cab on... The last one I did was highly modified. He had it towed in to the dealership and was absolutely pissed. The guy came in the back to my shop and was acting like a complete jerk. He told me that he had to have his truck back by the next day. I explained to him that we would be lucky to have the updated heads by the next day. He was being very irrational and I couldnt tell him anything he didnt already know. The last straw was when he told me that I would have his vehicle ready the next day. I walked him over to his truck, opened the hood, and asked him what he saw. He said "my engine". I said let me tell you what I see, a cash job not warranty. I then started naming all the aftermarket performance goodies. I told him that all I had to do was walk up front and tell my service advisor or manager, and this would be on his dime. He stood there for a few more seconds, asked me to get is done as soon as I could, thanked me and left. He came by a few days later, when it was almost done, and was as nice as could be. Im not usually like that, but man he was really pissing me off...

Whats a cab off head replacement ?

LOL!

That means in order to pull a cylinder head you have to either remove the motor or remove the cab. It's easier to remove the cab. :eek:

Though Im sure it is possible. I have never done a head replacement on a lightning without removing the cab. Regular 4.6L/5.4L I have many times(when I did'nt feel like removing the body). Its actually pretty easy to remove the cab. Takes just under two hours. Then everything is wide open. As long as you have a lift, that is...Expeditions, Excursions, and 4-door trucks take a little longer. You have to deal with a lot more. Fuel filler necks, Evap systems, more body mounts, which means you have to remove the entire interior to get under the carpet to the mounts, etc...Other than that its pretty easy. Body mounts, steering shaft, take that master off the booster, a/c lines at the condenser, radiator hoses from the motor, a few ground straps, unplug the front abs sensors and module, engine bulkhead connectors and your up and away....

Last edited:
Though Im sure it is possible. I have never done a head replacement on a lightning without removing the cab. Regular 4.6L/5.4L I have many times(when I did'nt feel like removing the body). Its actually pretty easy to remove the cab. Takes just under two hours. Then everything is wide open. As long as you have a lift, that is...Expeditions, Excursions, and 4-door trucks take a little longer. You have to deal with a lot more. Fuel filler necks, Evap systems, more body mounts, which means you have to remove the entire interior to get under the carpet to the mounts, etc...Other than that its pretty easy. Body mounts, steering shaft, take that master off the booster, a/c lines at the condenser, radiator hoses from the motor, a few ground straps, unplug the front abs sensors and module, engine bulkhead connectors and your up and away....

F... That !!!!!! How the hell you suppose to lift it off ? not like I got a boom truck in the driveway. Crazy Hope I never need to do that.

'Bout time you upgraded the Blazer. Tell you what, if it ever blows a spark plug out the hood, we'll just toss in a spare SC motor. Way more reliable and probably just as fast. :cool:

'Bout time you upgraded the Blazer. Tell you what, if it ever blows a spark plug out the hood, we'll just toss in a spare SC motor. Way more reliable and probably just as fast. :cool:

I got rid of that POS 2 years ago had to beg someone to buy it. Just sold my ranger on craigs list and got this.

Yeh your your right on the SC motor.....:D

Back