quest for 300hp starts!

92sclikenew

well i got the motor removed tonight quest is started!

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 114
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 106
  • motor3.jpg
    motor3.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 91
  • motor5.jpg
    motor5.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 104
  • motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 103
hate to burst your bubble buts its not easy to break 300 at the back wheels with these engines. Best bet is to drop the s/c and throw on a turbo.

Instant 300+rwhp and you can keep everything else stock
exluding the injectors and exhaust.
IMO the best mod for these cars, I have a 92 that i swapped in a 351w and 5spd that will be turbo'd, my other 3 sc's still have the heatons that will be replaced with single turbo's once I get some free time.

hate to burst your bubble buts its not easy to break 300 at the back wheels with these engines. Best bet is to drop the s/c and throw on a turbo.

Instant 300+rwhp and you can keep everything else stock
exluding the injectors and exhaust.
IMO the best mod for these cars, I have a 92 that i swapped in a 351w and 5spd that will be turbo'd, my other 3 sc's still have the heatons that will be replaced with single turbo's once I get some free time.

i been talkin with dave(xr7dave) and he says with a set of heads and the mods i have and the ones waiting to go on i shouldnt have much trouble!

oh cool well sounds like your on your way, don't be disappointed though if you don't reach your goal. Many have tried invested thousands and failed.

My friend bill has an 89 5spd with an mpx @ 10%, mp plenum, 85mm t/b, 76mm maf, #42 injectors, scp tensioner springs, air dam, ported heads, rebuilt bottom end, rebuilt trans, etc...

I'm guessing he'll break about 260rwhp. Guess I'll find out tomorrow car should be done then.

oh cool well sounds like your on your way, don't be disappointed though if you don't reach your goal. Many have tried invested thousands and failed.

My friend bill has an 89 5spd with an mpx @ 10%, mp plenum, 85mm t/b, 76mm maf, #42 injectors, scp tensioner springs, air dam, ported heads, rebuilt bottom end, rebuilt trans, etc...

I'm guessing he'll break about 260rwhp. Guess I'll find out tomorrow car should be done then.

thanks for the heads up
im goin 94blower cloned mp2 porting. with at least 10% od
daves gonna do me some big valve heads.1.840/1.570 stainless valves
cam(.550lift)and such hardware(roller rockers and such)
42lb injectors 73mafs,70tb.
3:73 rear end gear.
Trans is rebuilt. unsure whats all done cuz the trans show built it like 8times and the last time he said he did a solid input shaft and i have a completely diff case then i had b4:eek::rolleyes:long as it works:D
and plan of some sort of a custom front mount setup.

hope to be close

and all installed

who are you? and why are you trying to break his spirits... ?

This isn't a typical engine where you throw any part that is aftermarket into it to go fast.

Did your friend get a cam?

Not to mention why would you only run an MPX at 10%?

that is what I run my early model blower with a good port job lol.

I make similar power and the only after market on my car is a bigger cam, bigger injectors and MAF, lol everything else was ported or tweaked somehow.

My car has thousands of dollars invested in it as well, mostly repair for a 20 year old car. Was I satisfied? yes. Because I could have spent 20-30K on a mustang or GTO with similar results.. instead through trial and error and hard earned cash I have a unique fun car that I love.

and what is the point of a turbo on these? instant 300+hp but where is the power? whos to say it would not be slower, or the same as an SC car making 250rwhp in the right areas?

Your friend will leave a lot on the table w/ only 10%on a MPX. A cam and better cooling are a must. 300 shouldn't be that hard, 350 is a different story. A turbo should make much more than 300, more like 400. Once you take into consideration the power it takes to turn the blower, w/ a turbo that becomes free power. These motors can make plenty of power!

Good luck w/ your quest. Dave will get you there and w/ a set of his big valve heads you should get there and then some. She will be a blast to drive!:eek:

Stephen

Wow!!! the way he's talking you'd think we didn't have any 300 rwhp cars around here let alone 400+.

I don't have alot on my car right now, except for a mild cam, a ported 94 blower at 10%OD, stock inlet plenum, single IC, 75mm TB, 76mm MAF and 42# injectors and my car is hitting 247rwhp with a crap exhaust that is plugging everything and timing that had to be pulled back because of it. Fix the exhaust and I will be over 260 easy. Go to a DIC, mp plenum, ported heads, and I'm going to hit 300 (this is an auto btw).

Its all about matching the right components together and getting it tuned properly.

Fraser

As Frazer stated, it really is the parts combination and a good tune. OD'ing a blower is the easier way for more power, but harder on your blower and engine.

My car with a MPx and 15% od = 347 hp at the 2008 shootout. I know of 2 MPx's at 25% that had less hp that day. I believe they were at 345 and 337.

decipha, Please, don't discourage others. 300+ rwhp is not that hard to archive.

Dave D is the right go to get you there. Guys knows Tbirds like nobody else here and does excellent job porting heads, selecting right combo and tuning our cars.
"Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right." { Dave D.}

Last edited:
Yeah, 300rwhp is actually easy to get. Head flow and a good cam will get you there easily. Do as David suggested and definitely go with an MP inlet and a 75mm throttle body. Maybe even a 76mm-80mm MAF instead of a 73mm MAF (if you are gonna run a 75mm TB, that is.) Professional Products makes a 75mm TB that's cheaper than the 70mm throttle bodies, anyways.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 330rwhp; depending on intercooler efficiency and boost. I was OD'ing my late model blower 20%. I had a good intercooler and methanol injection, though.

In my short history of MN12dom, people only achieve success through failure. You will hear this cliche more than any other in life, but with supercoupes you almost always fail... your AOD blows at 120mph, or your DIS stalls the engine for you on the highway, sometimes you blow a rod bearing and make your girlfriend walk home. Other times your neighbor backs into your fender with his pickup truck while you are parked. But sometimes, the car will scream when worked out just right.

redemption is sweet.

sometimes you pass certain cars who's driver's wonder what the hell the reflective lettering reading "Thunderbird SC" is.. Is this some factory car I never knew about? No. You just got owned by an individual who was masochistic enough to make one of these cars faster than yours.

a fools errand for some, but a real treat for the ones who are crazy and dedicated. good luck :)

In my short history of MN12dom, people only achieve success through failure. You will hear this cliche more than any other in life, but with supercoupes you almost always fail... your AOD blows at 120mph, or your DIS stalls the engine for you on the highway, sometimes you blow a rod bearing and make your girlfriend walk home. Other times your neighbor backs into your fender with his pickup truck while you are parked. But sometimes, the car will scream when worked out just right.

redemption is sweet.

sometimes you pass certain cars who's driver's wonder what the hell the reflective lettering reading "Thunderbird SC" is.. Is this some factory car I never knew about? No. You just got owned by an individual who was masochistic enough to make one of these cars faster than yours.

a fools errand for some, but a real treat for the ones who are crazy and dedicated. good luck :)

thanks for the good words!!!

i got the lower end apart tonight got some cell phone pics:rolleyes:(got to load them up) 2nd rod in from the rear is toast. when i opened it there was no bearing left! and it had like 1/8inch play :eek: the crank looks toast. i didnt spec anything but all the other rods feel tight.:D so were see once it comes apart!

ill load the pics later once i send them from the phone

thanks for looking.

Last edited:
well the crank is toast

heres the pics

no bearing left when i pulled the cap:eek:

Attachments

• sc rod.jpg
    sc rod.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 56
  • sc rod 2.jpg
    sc rod 2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 45
  • sc rod 3.jpg
    sc rod 3.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 48
  • sc rod cap.jpg
    sc rod cap.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 44
heres some more pics of the work of tear down!

my dad said if a head had a crack that one of the piston tops would be clean!

Attachments

• untitled(9).jpg
    untitled(9).jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 41
  • untitled(10).jpg
    untitled(10).jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 34
  • untitled(11).jpg
    untitled(11).jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 44
  • untitled(12).jpg
    untitled(12).jpg