PDA

View Full Version : were to buy alum flywheel

shawpdx1
03-07-2009, 03:38 PM
who sells alum flywheels for our cars

90blkbrd
03-07-2009, 03:54 PM
There are 2 manufactures of aluminum flywheels, Spec and McLeod.

Spec = from Spec or www.supercoupeperformance.com.
MCLeod = McLeod.

If you want to see pictures of these 2 flywheels, including my damaged Spec, go to this thread. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100745

shawpdx1
03-07-2009, 10:46 PM
on the fence about alum flywheel. some say yes some say not worth the dough. either way Im buying a new flywheel I just dont want to shim a turned one. opnions? BTW I'm not looking to go to the track or shoot out just want pony's when I want them. future plans in the works this year raised top, double intercooler, exuast, swappping out my 92 supercharger to this 96 sc I got from the bone yard have the throttle body and bigger injectors that came with it.
thanks

Mike8675309
03-07-2009, 11:32 PM
on the fence about alum flywheel. some say yes some say not worth the dough. either way Im buying a new flywheel I just dont want to shim a turned one. opnions? BTW I'm not looking to go to the track or shoot out just want pony's when I want them. future plans in the works this year raised top, double intercooler, exuast, swappping out my 92 supercharger to this 96 sc I got from the bone yard have the throttle body and bigger injectors that came with it.
thanks

you don't shim the flywheel. You shim the slave cylinder so that it can fully release the clutch if the flywheel is turned. The master cylinder can only generate so much fluid displacement for it's fixed stroke. If the flywheel surface is thinner, the throw-out bearing will need to press in further on the pressure plate fingers than if it was at the stock depth. If the mechanism of a particular car is already at the limit for travel of the master cylinder, machining the flywheel will require shimming out the slave cylinder, as that's the only way to affect an increase in travel of the throw out bearing.

shawpdx1
03-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Mike

yeah I know you shim the slave how does a guy figure how much to shim I have read some horror storys on here of peeps wasting their clutches from not properly shimming.

Mike8675309
03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Well, what you needed to do was measure the flywheel distance from the block before removal. That will tell you a minimum that worked. Then when you bolt up the new flywheel, measure that distance again. Subract the two, and now you know your shim thickness needed.

Not having that, you end up doing trial and error.

shawpdx1
03-08-2009, 01:40 PM
thanks its not removed yet will do that prior to removal although it was giving me trouble going into 1st @ a stop and reverse. not sure if its just the clutch or tranny problems or it needs to be shimmed more

Mike8675309
03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
here is a useful thread on measuring things to check if you need a shim on a manual trans.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1030815-does-your-clutch-setup-need-shim.html

90blkbrd
03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Well, what you needed to do was measure the flywheel distance from the block before removal. That will tell you a minimum that worked. Then when you bolt up the new flywheel, measure that distance again. Subract the two, and now you know your shim thickness needed.

Not having that, you end up doing trial and error.

How would you propose taking this measurement accurately?

Mike8675309
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM
How would you propose taking this measurement accurately?

See the thread I linked to above. Use a carpenters square perhaps. I'm not sure. if I had it apart I could look at it figure something out. Might need to fab something up.