Transmission Slipping/Not Engaging

JCanada

Ok, heres the deal...

1991 Thunderbird 3.8L SC with an Automatic AOD

When I put the vehicle into drive and take my foot off the brake, the car doesnt move. I rev a little, rev a little more, (1500-2500rpm) and then it catches and we're off with a chirp...since the problem has started to occur it hasn't been driven so I cant tell you about 1-2 or 2-3 shifts...

When the vehicle is put into gear, sometimes the idle of the engine drops significantly and once has even stalled the engine.

The engine idles and runs perfectly and is completely factory as well as the transmission.

I have heard things regarding the TV Cable, Plunger, and Spring. Could these have anything to do with it and how would I go about fixing these? Another thing has been suggested to me is that the torque converter may have taken a dump on me...I'm sitting here clueless as transmissions are NOT my thing. HELP!

I really don't think it's the torque converter...I can't really help with much more advice than that though...I used to work as an engineer at a torque converter manufacturer and your symptoms don't make sense for a TC.

Sounds like the front pump is not doing its thing---either its losing prime/ sucking air through a bad gasket or there is too much leakage in the oil passages--like excess bushing wear. I'm betting you are in for a complete overhaul on it...might want to start saving some bucks for the job or get a manual and start studying your next learning opportunity..... I do my own rebuilds but don't consider myself an expert by any means. Its not as bad a job rebuilding one as it might at first seem. The hardest part is getting them out and back in..............Dan

Can we assume you checked the fluid level and made sure it is topped off?

If the fluid level is full, and it still behaves as you described, then about the only thing you can do is pull the trans and have it rebuilt. Get a new torque converter at the same time, though I highly doubt the torque converter is causing the problem. Something is causing either low fluid pressure in the transmission, or fluid pressure is bypassing where it needs to be.

Yea im having the same problem with 1990 auto but it only slips like yours in the cold. When its warmer out though it gives me no problems. Im planning on putting some stuff in the tranny to stop the slipping ill let you know how it goes.

Ok, well for the first time in a long time I took the non-operation registration off the car and took it for a spin a few hours ago...

Just like I had stated before it's slipping horrible going into first and reverse...but once the vehicle is warmed up and has been down the highway 5-7 miles it runs like a champ.

The fluid level is where it should be while on level ground, while hot and running in park.

The 2-3 3-4 shifts are still nice and crisp, going 40mph dropping to first will spin the tires...i'm just having trouble getting out of the driveway while its cold...

Keep in mind im in Southern California and its about 80 degrees here...so its really not all that cold.

The filter and transmission fluid was changed about...5,000 miles ago.

Still sitting here clueless, guess ill wait for it to break down on me and put an Art Carr tranny in.

Just like I had stated before it's slipping horrible going into first and reverse...but once the vehicle is warmed up and has been down the highway 5-7 miles it runs like a champ.

The filter and transmission fluid was changed about...5,000 miles ago.

Still sitting here clueless, guess ill wait for it to break down on me and put an Art Carr tranny in.

#1. Most folks haven't had good luck with the Art Carr transmissions on their SC's.

#2. 5000 miles but how much time? Could there be moisture in the trans fluid?

#3. did this behavior start out of the blue, or did it progress over time?

Sounds like the little square cork gasket between the filter and the VB is leaking. Had a same problem when I let those knuckle heads at Jiffy Lube change my transmission filter, they actually forgot or didn't know to install the gasket. I don't think it's really an issue of cold transmission vs hot as much as how long the transmission has been sitting and draining itself.

If the gasket is leaking, adding an extra quart of fluid will raise the fluid level in the pan enough to correct the slipping. If the extra fluid fixes the problem, you will need to drop the transmission pan and install a new filter and gasket.

David

#1. Most folks haven't had good luck with the Art Carr transmissions on their SC's.

#2. 5000 miles but how much time? Could there be moisture in the trans fluid?

#3. did this behavior start out of the blue, or did it progress over time?

1, I will keep that in mind if I do end up looking for a new transmsision (Whole topic all together but what kind of trouble have the Art Carr's presented?

2, The car had set for about 2 1/2 years with a non-operation registration without ever being started due to a bad fuel pump and a serious lack of time.

3, I dont recall ever having the problem before it being parked...but I could very well be mistaken...All of my project and collectors cars have caused tranny problems in the last few years (worst was my IROC-Z 1992 Camaro)

Having never considered moisture build-up and the fact that its a quick and inexpensive thing, i'll drop the pan first chance I get and let you guys know what results I come up with...

1, I will keep that in mind if I do end up looking for a new transmsision (Whole topic all together but what kind of trouble have the Art Carr's presented?

You'll want to search on things like that.

Some examples
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19719&highlight="art+carr"
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53621&highlight="art+carr"
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48356&highlight="art+carr"
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73775&highlight="art+carr"
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71946&highlight="art+carr"
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74017&highlight="art+carr"
3, I dont recall ever having the problem before it being parked...but I could very well be mistaken...All of my project and collectors cars have caused tranny problems in the last few years (worst was my IROC-Z 1992 Camaro)

The transmission in my 90 failed after sitting one winter. It had sat for a couple years before I purchased it, hauled it out to my dad's and parked it. The next spring drove it home, and it failed 3 miles from home. Disassembly showed that some seal areas had become stiff and hard, allowing fluid pressure to bleed by. Looking at the seal, you could see it was exactly one half of the seal was hard, while the other half was flexible. That was because one half sat in fluid, and other half was exposed when the trans sat for a long time.

Because of that, I now try to start my 90 at least once every two months in the winter just to keep things in the trans nice and bathed. (I had it rebuilt by a local shop)

Back