PDA

View Full Version : Report on carbon fiber blockers at the track today.

Mike Puckett
03-08-2009, 01:12 AM
I've only got one on the 3rd gear synchronizer trying to get one to last longer and the others are OEM. Initially I'd reported some crunch on quick shifts but thought that maybe they just needed a breakin. On my 1st time trial I got a mild crunch but not too bad. Then for the rest of the day, every 3rd gear speed shift was crunch free. It even felt smoother when engaging. So, they just indeed did need a breakin, I'm thinking. Then just before I got home I got a couple of normal easy shift crunches. What the heck was that, I wondered. The rest of the 3rd gear shifts until I pulled into my driveway were OK. I'm a little puzzled about why it crunched a couple of times there on the way home but it seemed to pass the racing speed shift test. Now let's see how long it holds up.

ricardoa1
03-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Keep us updated. :)

NickM
03-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Sounds the same as mine-occasional 3rd gear crunch, and no idea why.
Running Syncromesh as well. Running them at all four positions, btw, and 3rd is the only one that crunches.

Nick

Mike Puckett
03-08-2009, 12:11 PM
That wide gap between 2nd & 3rd is just too much of a change. I'm switching to a 94/95 5spd next year so hopefully I won't have to deal with it anymore. It's really odd about the occasional crunch, trapped fluid maybe or just occasional slippage? What if every other tooth were removed?

Mikessupercoupe
03-08-2009, 12:33 PM
That sounds like the same problem I was having, but now I've just got use to letting off the gas a little to get into 3rd. I haven't tried keeping that gas pedal to the floor in third but I really want to. I have a 94 tranny so that really doesn't make any difference. I really would like to change that but what choices do we have without costing an arm or leg or both?

Mike:D

KMT
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
>I'm a little puzzled about why it crunched a couple of times there on the way home but it seemed to pass the racing speed shift test.

Heat differential.

seawalkersee
03-09-2009, 02:41 AM
I too am interested in how this turns out.

SWS