Delrin Rear Suspension Bushings

DLF

I've begun producing Delrin Rear Suspension Bushings for the Thunderbird and Mark VIII's.

These are sold for "Off Road / Racing Use" Only! If you choose to use these on the street, you do so at your own risk! No warranties of any kind are offered.

Details on the development, with pictures, comments from another SCCoA Member who has had these installed by me, and my track results, can be found in this "Member Only Forums" Thread:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104412

I've uploaded 5 pictures.

Mark VIII LCA with Delrin Bushings and Stainless Steel Zerk Grease fittings
Knuckle with Delrin Bushings and Stainless Steel Zerk Grease fittings
MN-12 LCA with Delrin Bushings and Stainless Steel Zerk Grease fittings
A full set of Delrin Bushings and Hardcoat Anodized Aluminum Spacers for the Mark VIII LCA's
One of the Delrin Bushings for the MN-12 LCA showing the stepped machining required

The LCA kits will consist of Delrin Bushings, Hardcoat Anodized 6061-T6 Aluminum Spacers, and 4 Stainless Steel Zerk fittings and covers.

The Knuckle kits will include Delrin Bushings, Hardcoat Anodized 6061-T6 Aluminum Spacers, and 6 Stainless Steel Zerk fittings and covers.

Installation instructions will be made available on-line.

A couple of quick comments:

1. Stock or aftermarket Mark VIII LCA bushings are not available. If you choose to do this, there will be no turning back.
2. Although I've designed a way to lubricate the Delrin Bushings, they will still squeak occasionally when cold, no way around it.

UPDATE: FWIW, I've been running my Bushings for over a year on both my SC and LSC, and they have yet to make any noise at all.

Pricing will be as follows:

LCA set (either stock or Mark VIII): $325 Shipped (lower 48)
Knuckle Set: $325 Shipped (lower 48)
Complete LCA and Knuckle Set: $625 Shipped (lower 48)

There will be additional shipping charges to areas other than the lower 48.

I've already sold the three sets that I'm currently making.

I have materials on hand for another 4 sets, that will be ready in about 4 weeks.

Additionally, I will have the following for sale, in about 2 weeks

Stock MN-12 LCA's (picture 3), with Delrin Bushings and Stainless Steel Zerk fittings installed - $475 shipped (lower 48)
Mark VIII LCA's, with Delrin Bushings and Stainless Steel Zerk fittings installed - $450 shipped (lower 48)
Knuckles (stock MN-12 hubs), with Delrin Bushings and Stainless Steel Zerk fittings installed - $450 shipped (lower 48) Note: Used Cobra hubs installed for an additional $75

If anyone would like to pre-order any of these kits, or the other items I've listed, I'll require a 50% deposit via PayPal. Otherwise, I'll make another post when these items are ready to ship.

Installation of any of these kits/items is available, for an additional fee, in my climate controlled, lift equipped, garage in Forked River, NJ.

Please PM me with pre-order requests or any questions that you may have.

Regards

Attachments

• Mark VIII LCA.JPG
    Mark VIII LCA.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,677
  • Knuckle.JPG
    Knuckle.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,661
  • MN-12 LCA.JPG
    MN-12 LCA.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 1,642
  • HPIM0148.JPG
    HPIM0148.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,533
  • HPIM0202.JPG
    HPIM0202.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,390
Last edited:
Kit Contents and Pictures

Here are pictures of the Delrin Bushing Kits.

The LCA Kit includes the following:

4 - Rear LCA Bushings
4 - Front LCA Bushings
4 - 6061-T6 Hardcoat Anodized Aluminum spacers
4 - Stainless Steel Zerk Grease Fitting and Caps

The Knuckle Kit includes the following:

4 - Upper Knuckle Bushings
8 - Lower Knuckle Bushings
6 - 6061-T6 Hardcoat Anodized Aluminum spacers
8 - Stainless Steel Washers (used with the Lower Bushings)
6 - Stainless Steel Zerk Grease Fitting and Caps

Either Kit is $325 Shipped (Lower 48), or $625 Shipped (Lower 48) for both Kits purchased at the same time. Allow 2 weeks for delivery.

Attachments

• HPIM0273.JPG
    HPIM0273.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • HPIM0274.JPG
    HPIM0274.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,379
I have these installed in my car.

The Mark VIII LCA with Delrin bushings in both the knuckle and control arms.

I wrote a bit about them in the member section but figured I'd write somethig here as well on my experience.

First off when I heard about Delrin bushings in the Cobras it really percked my interest. I ended up going for a ride in a delrin equiped Cobra and was hooked. Wheelhop was just not there. Sure an SC would be different but I needed to know. 5 speeds in an SC = massive wheelhop unless you throw a big sticky tire on and your suspension is in tip top shape...Even then I personally started to get some hop after awhile

So I looked into getting them for my SC and noone was willing to make them ....That was untill I saw Doug was thinking of producing them.

The process of installing the delrin bushings was no bad at all. A little time consuming but very straight forward. The hardest part is realizing the Delrin doesnt flex and compress like rubber and that fitting the parts where they used to go will take a lil patience. Having two people on hand will eliminate that frustration. I also went with the Mark VIII control arms to save on the unsprung weight. I used the aluminum perches because I alredy had them but am seriously considering swapping over to the ones Doug is making. Realy no reason to have those two big chunks of alumnum back there.

And the results....

First impression just driving around the corner was that the car felt solid. I cant explain it any other way. Not so much stiff but solid. It felt like a different car. Before the car felt a lil boaty even with the suspension I had (lowering springs, performance shocks) new front end. With the Delrin there is no binding so the solidity felt has to be do to the loss of deflection of the rubber bushings. So now the suspension does whats its meant to do without sticking..

Now I have to mention I had my winter rims and tires on. And by that I mean not tires to get me through snow but tires and rims that I dont care so much about. That being said my tires were balding and dry rotted to an extent and before the delrim I would get massive and violent wheelhop due to that. My Nittos curbed most all of the wheelhop when the car was stock (I mean I couldnt feel any)however when I gave my car more power it came back a little and with those bad tires it was just awfull .

Now with those same bad tires and teh Delrin bushings that massive wheelhop I was having was most all eliminated by just the installation of the Delrin. That I found amazing. I did feel the slightest of something that barely resembled wheelhop so I cant say it was 100% gone. But that was with my spent tires. With my good Nittos...Seriously WHAT WHEELHOP???

I went for a ride in Dougs car equiped with the Delrin and good tires and there wasnt a hint of hop as well.

Now when I kick out the rear end of the car now it seems to be very predictable. Also it could be my imagination... but the car feels lighter. The transfer of gas pedal to tires seems much more smooth and direct. It seriously feels like a different car

Id have to say with all the money I throw into my cars this was by FAR the BEST investment ever. If you have a 5 speed I'd say this is a must have. I dont even think I can even stress enough how happy I am with this mod. I dont even drag race my car but just knowing and feeling that my rear suspension isnt doing the hula dance back there ws worth every penny.

Wait honestly. I almost want to bring my car back to the track to see how it does!

The mod may not be for everyone. If you like wheelhop or cant deal with a more solid ride then Id say stay away...If you HATE wheelhop (besides what it does to your car) and dont like a boaty type feel....GO FOR IT!

If you all have any questions you can ask me and i'll try to answer. I'd personally liek to hear some more experiences. I'm throwing an autorotor on the car this month so I'll report back when thats done...I honestly wasnt even going to put it on untill I saw my wheelhop go bye byes

In Stock

I now have 8 sets of LCA Spacers, and 6 sets of Knuckle Spacers back from the anodizer....

So I can ship either kit(s) or LCA's/Knuckles with Delrin Bushings installed within a few of days of payment.

If you aren't already getting 1.8 second 60' times with DR's, then you need these. :D

Also to add I hav ebeen driving my car around with the Delrins for a few weeks solid everyday. I actually feel that drive quality and handeling were increased dramatically. Doug said it may be a stiff feel..But to me the rear feels as smooth as better...

A GREAT MOD...I;d do them while they are available..Because one never knows.....Also I want to hear some more opinions on the mod. I just love it and am suprised peopel arent eating this up. Any guy in the know with IRS equipped terminator cobras does delrin without a second thought

So far, I've shipped 7 sets of Delrin Bushing Kits, and as far as I know, only Damon and I have actually installed them.

I'm really looking forward to getting more feedback.

With all off the complaining about wheel hop over the years, I'm very suprised that there hasn't been more interest.

I currently have 2 sets on the shelf, ready to go, and materials in stock for another 3.

It's one of those mods that you go yah....Hmmm $600 or so.....

Then when you do it you wish you had done it at first sight! I dont think anyone can really comprehend what a great mod it is untill they have actually done it. 5 speed+ Delrin=must have in my book

I already have poly in the knuckle. Would I benefit from doing just the LCA?

What would be the benefits?

I already have poly in the knuckle. Would I benefit from doing just the LCA?

What would be the benefits?

I haven't tried that combination. The only person that I know of who is going to is Will Smith (Mercutio), but I don't believe he's done the install yet.

Anything that removes compliance from the rear suspension will reduce wheel hop and improve launches.

It couldn't hurt :)

Which LCA's do you have, stock or Mark VIII?

I have SC control arms.

I do not stock Delrin Bushings for the cast iron MN-12 LCA's, but it would only take me a couple of days after payment to make a set. The stock bushings need to be pressed out and the Delrin Bushings pressed in. Then the bottom of the bushing bores would need to be drilled (5mm) and tapped (6mm x 1.0mm) for the Stainless Steel Zerk grease fittings @ 1" from the outside edge of each bore.

I will be inspecting my suspension this week. If I go for it I would change over to the Mk8 LCAs. Is this a direct bolt on with thestock knuckle?

I'm all over these bushings, put me down for a set!
(just need the engine fund to ebb and flow as I'm in the midst of an expensive DOHC 5.0 build-up.. ouch!)

How long does it take to build these? I may just do the LCA bushings while the car is apart and save the knuckle stuff for the next brake job.

As long as you'll still have the material in a few months?!

I'm all over these bushings, put me down for a set!
(just need the engine fund to ebb and flow as I'm in the midst of an expensive DOHC 5.0 build-up.. ouch!)

How long does it take to build these? I may just do the LCA bushings while the car is apart and save the knuckle stuff for the next brake job.

As long as you'll still have the material in a few months?!

Hey Teeps!

Right now I have them in stock for the Mark VIII LCA's. Takes a couple of days to make bushings if I don't (as long as I have the hard coated spacers).

I make the MN-12 LCA bushings to order.

You get a discount if you buy the entire set at the same time, and to do the LCA's, you have to remove the knuckles anyway. :D

I'm an old guy, I might not be around in a few months ;)

DLF, would these bushing do anything for a AOD car? :cool:

You might get better launches, as instead of the control arms allowing the wheels to move forward slightly at first, all the power would go to the ground. Then traction would be the issue.

Besides that, better handling and a firmer ride.

All opinion of course, as I haven't tried it yet, nor have I heard back from anyone who's installed them in an auto car. I've installed a set in my '98 LSC with a 4R70W, but it hasn't left the garage yet :).

I'll know more in a week or so, as I'm just about done with all of my mods on the LSC.

Last edited:
I've now put a couple of hundred miles on my 4R70W '98 LSC with my Delrin bushings installed. In addition to the bushings, this car also has a 3,600 stall TC, Tru-Trac diff, 4.10 gears and Koni shocks.

As I suspected, a slightly firmer ride, with no noticeable increase in NVH, and more predictable handling is the result. Nice straight launches and very stable during the shifts (that produce really nice tire chirps, btw :D).

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the results.

Last edited:
Back