Dyno differences

nickleman60

What the difference in a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet dyno? I know one brand usually shows higher HP numbers than the other. What's the perferred brand that is closest to what you're actually putting out at the wheels? When I got my '94 "SEMI tuned"......:rolleyes: it put out 320 rwhp on a Dyno jet, would the numbers have been higher or lower on a Mustang dyno?

Last edited:
What the difference in a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet dyno? I know one brand usually shows higher HP numbers than the other. What's the perferred brand that is closest to what you're actually putting out at the wheels? When I got my '94 "SEMI tuned"......:rolleyes: it put out 320 rwhp on a Dyno jet, would the numbers have been higher or lower on a Mustang dyno?

Mustang Dyno will usually show lower numbers than a dynojet.

David

It may not be that they load differently, but maybe how 1 interprets the info than the other. Not sure, just speculating.

No they do load differently. Tuning on a dyno alone is never the best case scenario for that vey reason. It doesnt simulate real world conditions..But for most its just fine I supposse. Heck Ford uses wind tunnels(amung othe rthings) when they do thier tuning

No they do load differently. Tuning on a dyno alone is never the best case scenario for that vey reason. It doesnt simulate real world conditions..But for most its just fine I supposse. Heck Ford uses wind tunnels(among other things) when they do thier tuning

If I'm not mistaken a dynojet is an inertial dyno, and a mustang dyno is a variable load eddy-current dyno. The dynojet has a big drum with a known weight. You accelerate the drum (with your RWHP). the resulting acceleration can be used to calculate the torque and HP #'s of your engine after calculating for dyno losses. A mustang dyno is a loaded dyno, by a motor or some such thing. The dyno measures the current and voltage required to equal the engines power output. From these #'s you can calculate the torque/power outputs of your engine after accounting for dyno losses.

With that being said, I would prefer to tune on a loaded dyno (mustang dyno). If you're looking for bragging rights, get your power #'s off of the dynojet. If you're looking for relative improvment between mods make sure you stay on the same dyno (obviously).

Can't speak for Ford, but GM uses a variety of tools to do their calibrations. Most of the calibrating still happens on the road, but more of it is being moved to dyno's. Not only chassis dyno's but also engine dynos, transmission dyno's and full powertrain dyno's. The nice thing about dyno's is CONSISTENCY. IF the dyno is properly tuned we can compare our fuel efficieny #'s to a competitors or something along those lines.

Damon is correct that there are all sorts of cells used to help with calibration. We have "High Feature" cells that change every variable you can think of....loading to simulate towing a trailer, or going up a hill, the pressure in the chamber to simulate altitude, humidity, wind, even solar loading (a lot of lights in ceiling that they can turn on or off depending on how "bright" you want to simulate).

Last edited:
I do know that my car will put down better numbers on a Mustang than a Dynojet. Guess my car likes the load bearing setup of the Mustang over the Dynojet.

I do know that my car will put down better numbers on a Mustang than a Dynojet. Guess my car likes the load bearing setup of the Mustang over the Dynojet.

My turbo car puts down lousy numbers on a dynojet because it doesn't have enough load on the motor to maintain boost. Spools the turbo much slower too. On the street or on a load bearing dyno (like a mustang) it spools much quicker and will maintain boost all the way to the rev limiter. So on that car I get much better numbers from a mustang dyno.

Never had my 91 on a load bearing dyno, so I don't know exactly how it would compare to numbers it pulls on a dynojet. Suspect they would be about 9% lower like nearly everyone else reports.

David

It doesnt seem to matter what I do to my car. It will always pull anywhere from 320 to 328 on a Dynojet. Put the car on a Mustang dyno and it pulled 346 and that was before I went to the MPX and upping the overdrive. Has me scratching my had on why it pulls lower on a Dynojet than Mustang.

So then would a mustang dyno be more accurate technically? And why is it called a mustang dyno, I think we should boycot it and call it a tbird dyno or thunderbird dyno which ever you prefer, lol.

Sean

Back