Fuel pressure leakdown time interval?

ricardoa1

Checking some things out on the car, I had some wows with fuel leaks on the new fuel rail. First it was at a the custom compression fitting for the longer crossover hose. Once I fixed that on the number six injector must have been at an akward angle and leaked past the oring at the base of it. Little bending and twisting seems to take care of that one.

Now for the question, what is an acceptable leak down time interval before saying, the FPR is busted, the pump check is broken or an injector is stuck open. There are no more visual leaks anymore.

I can hold 40 psi then it slowly drops on the gauge and takes about a minute to get to 10psi then stays there the longest, eventually gets to 0.
I always thought that it should take a few hours for leak down. But alot of SCs seem to leak down in minutes and that seem to be ok by the expert standards.

Checking some things out on the car, I had some wows with fuel leaks on the new fuel rail. First it was at a the custom compression fitting for the longer crossover hose. Once I fixed that on the number six injector must have been at an akward angle and leaked past the oring at the base of it. Little bending and twisting seems to take care of that one.

Now for the question, what is an acceptable leak down time interval before saying, the FPR is busted, the pump check is broken or an injector is stuck open. There are no more visual leaks anymore.

I can hold 40 psi then it slowly drops on the gauge and takes about a minute to get to 10psi then stays there the longest, eventually gets to 0.
I always thought that it should take a few hours for leak down. But alot of SCs seem to leak down in minutes and that seem to be ok by the expert standards.

Ricardo,

Mine leaks down at about the same rate. Unless it's instantly dropping off when the pump stops, I wouldn't worry about it.

David

Mine will drop down to about 5 psi but it takes all night. After a few hours it only drops a few psi. :confused:

Mine will drop down to about 5 psi but it takes all night. After a few hours it only drops a few psi. :confused:

Well after 10psi I cannot keep checking it since my gauge is electronic. And I would have to leave the car in the on position for me to check it. By that time the cars battery drains. So I dont know how long it takes for the final 5 to drop to 0

Well after 10psi I cannot keep checking it since my gauge is electronic. And I would have to leave the car in the on position for me to check it. By that time the cars battery drains. So I dont know how long it takes for the final 5 to drop to 0

Do I get to go for a ride once it's done? Hopefully in a few weeks?;)

Sure, I am waiting on a condenser and enlarged sc inlet and getting my top fixed up. I need you to help me tweek the tune if necessary. I got the equipment to do it, It wont be as nifty as your equipment..But since you know the basics.

Back