PDA

View Full Version : It Lives

onequiksc
03-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Got my SC started last night, although the first ( and all thereafter) attempts were met with an instant start then die (would not stay running), I was pointed to vacuum leaks from the ever smart Mr. Bryan. So I tore down the upper and lower IC tubes and found a major vacuum leak due to a misaligned lower intercooler tube (I forgot to slide it onto & bolt it to the stud that's on the PS bracket, and the bung was seriously binding UNDER that stud...duh...). From the look of the upper tube collar nut RTV, it seemed like that connection was also not mating either... I had a weird angle on the collar nut, didn't look right. After I put everything back together, things seemed to mate up much better. Turned the key...It started and ran like new.

Had an valve cover oil leak on driver's side, tightened up the bolts a bit and seems to have stopped. I purposely didn't crank the valve cover bolts down so as not to overcompensate and warp things, I erred on the soft side I guess.

No check engine light, no tailpipe smoke (after initial burn off), no bad noises. Temp is on N when hot.

...almost 3 months, I'm pretty relieved.

Only drove it down the driveway as I've got some small things to tend to, including a leaking tranny pan gasket, but the car feels right.

I doubt this motor will go another 20 years, but If I get a few more, I'll be thrilled.

I think I spent as much on Por 15 as i did on the parts to fix it

The bad news: I'm probably going to the Daytona Speedway show w/o the car. I have some paint repair work on the front bumper underway, and I will have to respray the whole bumper, as well as a leaking tranny pan gasket, severe dirt and overspray all over the car, and major buffing and polishing to do. Given I've literally only 2 days of free time between now & the show means...it ain't gonna happen.

Cindy & I are however, coming and will pull up a folding chair with Bryan, Glenn and whomever else shows up.

Thanks again Bry, you win the "troubleshooting that SC" contest this week!

the-big-e
03-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Try giving your Yak some Echinacea or Golden Seal Root for the sneezing....

Or maybe some Airborne will help......:p

He might be allergic to your Pacer......:eek:

onequiksc
03-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Only you Ed, would skip a response to the entire post and go right to the 'edit' explanation, LMAO

Actually, I had to add that just to draw you in...and I did!

(sneaky eh?)

Them Yak sure can mess a feller's computin' skillz up :)

Flip
03-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Dan,

Glad you got it back together and running well. Hope to see you at Daytona, have to see if my new Cam and other stiff gets here in time. Mine needs a good cleaning and polishing also.:)

the-big-e
03-10-2009, 06:00 PM
You got me on that one.....:p

I got Black Betty up this morning and took her for a drive after she had been sitting for almost 2 months (I don't like to drive her much in the winter)....:rolleyes:

Then the brakes went out......:mad:

Until I can get her fixed, I think I'll switch her out with either the white 92 with tan leather and sunroof or the white 90 with black cloth and sunroof....

Hmmmmmm....

Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

onequiksc
03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
You got me on that one.....:p

I got Black Betty up this morning and took her for a drive after she had been sitting for almost 2 months (I don't like to drive her much in the winter)....:rolleyes:

Then the brakes went out......:mad:

Until I can get her fixed, I think I'll switch her out with either the white 92 with tan leather and sunroof or the white 90 with black cloth and sunroof....

Hmmmmmm....

Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

Ed, you're like the John McCain (7 houses) of Supercoupes...and while I'm impressed by that, I'd be even more so by seeing each one in its own heated garage. :)

Now, that would be really living!

the-big-e
03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Me too.....

Let me get out of school first....

kamakazie_1
03-10-2009, 11:33 PM
way to go Dan!!

RJ

SuperChicken89
03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Dan, glad to hear the SC is running again. Those big IC tube leaks will do you in every time. Just a little too much unmetered air entering the system:D Now get some of those cosmetic issues prettied up and bring it to Daytona.

Bryan

Cobra85
03-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Dan,
Glad to hear that the ol' SC is running again. Ifn' you don't get'er done in time, I might have a spare 93 for you to take. ;)
No excuses, it don't matter if it aint pretty, just bring 'er.
See you there.