growling noise

jbud89SC

i fired up my SC for the first time in awhile like a year and i hear a kinda rough growling noise from the SC its not real loud and i never noticed it before when i had it running the car hasnt been driven tho for like 3 years im just wondering if i have a real problem on my hands or if i need to replace the fluid in it or if its just normal

Sounds like your bearings in the snout are bad. Mine did that too, replaced the seals & bearings in the snout & all went away.

Jeff B.

thanks i figured it was a bearing problem cuzz the car sat for so long so i will definately get on that. . .where can i get replacements

i fired up my SC for the first time in awhile like a year and i hear a kinda rough growling noise from the SC its not real loud and i never noticed it before when i had it running the car hasnt been driven tho for like 3 years im just wondering if i have a real problem on my hands or if i need to replace the fluid in it or if its just normal

Check your bypas it could be stuck closed and will cause a growlong noise as well .

First thing would be to check the SC fluid level. Make sure it is up to the bottom of the threads.

Easy way to check and see if the SC is making noise is to take off the belt and see if the noise goes away. Power steering pumps can also make that kind of noise, check it the same way, remove the belt.

I like nickelman60's method, I thought I spun a bearing also, but by removing the belts I found out it was the bearings in the JS pulley that caused the noise. I replaced the bracket and problem solved.

thank you all and i will definately get into more investigating. i used a stethescope to try to get a better listen and the SC itself seemed like everything was spinning freely and no noticeable noises my tensioner pulleys were somewhat gravely sounding tho well all but the one for the serpentine belt i did remove the belts and the noise stopped but i cant be to kwik to oint my finger at the SC as the tensioner pulleys werent doing any work either and still coulda been the problem. . . . .i also checked TSBs on it and it was said to be a somewhat normal sound that wouldnt effect the life or performance of the unit. . . . .anyone hear similair noises?

thank you all and i will definately get into more investigating. i used a stethescope to try to get a better listen and the SC itself seemed like everything was spinning freely and no noticeable noises my tensioner pulleys were somewhat gravely sounding tho well all but the one for the serpentine belt i did remove the belts and the noise stopped but i cant be to kwik to oint my finger at the SC as the tensioner pulleys werent doing any work either and still coulda been the problem. . . . .i also checked TSBs on it and it was said to be a somewhat normal sound that wouldnt effect the life or performance of the unit. . . . .anyone hear similair noises?

Have you checked that your bypas is opening?

well i havent had a chace to yet bbut its the first thing im gonna do. . . . . . . . .when is it supposed to open and whats the best way to check it

well i havent had a chace to yet bbut its the first thing im gonna do. . . . . . . . .when is it supposed to open and whats the best way to check it

Method 1 have a friend start the car and watch the vacuum solenoid verify that it pulls the butterfly open if it dose your ok if it doesn’t try to move the solenoid by hand.

Method 2 with the car running pull off the vacuum line and verify the solenoid closes (when it dose you will here a growling noise from the blower)

Last edited:
Back