Shift Light

kenewagner

What does everyone use? Are a lot of you using one or is it more a luxury. I have a Lentec and like to manualy shift it at the track. Be nice to have something idiot proof and easy to work with:rolleyes:

Ken

I think I did a write up on my shift light.

I have a nifty LED that I hardwired to the leads of a Summit racing generic shift light.

I had some problems wiring it at first, A blown fuse had me chasing my tail.
But works well. It has an adjustable knob.

Just wondering how you get it to light at the RPM you want? Or does it just light up at a factory set RPM?

The shift light has a chip that takes RPM pulses from your PCM and with the adjustment knob you can turn it up to whatever shiftpoint you want. It started out as a normal tube style shift light I took it apart and tapped into the bulbs +/- leads to make the LED work. You need a LED thats rated for 12volts. The box next to it is the SNOw kit controller so dont pay attention to it.

carshowandtrack015.jpg

Im lost! Its a shift light but you had to add an LED? So a basic shift light wont work? I have to buy a chip for that also? I am not trying to steal the thread, I would just like to hook one up also like the one Ira pointed out in your thread.

Ok, Ill take it slower. :p

I started out with a generic shiftlight from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G2945&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Then I did not want that big ~~~ thing on the dashboard so I took off the cap and lense, that reveals the spot where the bulb goes, I took off the 194# bulb that came with it and with a couple of wires I taped into it to steal the current so the LED lights, I ran that LED on the steering column and concealed the shift light in the glove compartement. The picture I posted shows the back of it. Then all you have to wire are the +/- leads for the unit and tap into the RPM signal wire that comes out of the PCM.

I'm told that I need to get a shift light in both my cars, but I don't really think it would help with my shifting. I prefer to keep one eye on the tach and anticipate when to make the shift by watching the needle on the tach. If I actually had a shift light I'd probably have to set it to flash at 5500 in order for me to make a 6400 rpm shift on the 1-2 shift.

David

Last edited:
I'm told that I need to get a shift light in both my cars, but I don't really think it would help with my shifting. I prefer to keep one eye on the tach and anticipate when to make the shift by watching the needle on the tach. If I actually had a shift light I'd probably have to set it to flash at 5500 in order for me to make a 6400 rpm shift on the 1-2 shift.

David

Shift light is on my list of items to get. I've found that while I think looking at the tach works, in reality what I'm used to is listening to my motor. Unfortunately, in some bracket events I end up next to a big block, or small block with open headers. Then I find out how difficult it is to figure out when to shift... at least for the 1 to 2 shift. By the 2 to 3, they are way past me. :rolleyes:

Back