Odometer Stopped working

tinman2540

Hey guys, does anyone know of any common odometer problems where it just stops working? I have a 93 5-speed I bought a few years ago from the classifieds here, and it stopped working shortly after getting the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A tiny drive gear inside the odometer has sheared off....

I have a few of these odometer gears if you want to fix it....

Attachments

• Odometer Gear 004.jpg
    Odometer Gear 004.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Odometer Gear 005.jpg
    Odometer Gear 005.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Yeah its either the green gear inside for the speedometer, or if that isnt broken the electronic circuitboard can go bad.

- Dan

I have a similar (if not same) issue going...

My speedometer works perfectly, but my mileage odometer doesn't turn...
Is mine also a problem with this internal gear you speak of?

They sell these kits along with a how to over on Super coupe performance.

Just did one a few months back, very simple to do...

-Tim

Everyone failed to mention the sticker falling off on the inside of the speedo and getting caught in the gears;).....

And contrary to the norm.....mine stopped working, i disassembled the dash to get the speedo out, saw no visible defects, blew it out with air.....Cleaned the contacts and it has been working just fine ever since then!:D:cool:

Thanks guys, I'll check it out this weekend and see whats going on, hopefully I wont need the new gear.

Most likely the gear. Just did this myself a couple months ago on my '95. My small gear looked like the one in the earlier picture.

Here's the procedure for replacement. Hardest part on mine was getting the speedometer needle off. Also, even though it says to mark the "zero" for the speedometer needle, mine took a little trial and error and following my wife around in another car while she was telling me how fast she was going to get the speedometer needle set right.

Also, be really careful with the two little wires to the stepper motor.

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/Instructions/Speedo - Odo Repair Inst..htm

You can buy these at supercoupeperformance. Other websites also sell them. You've just got to search around.

Good luck.

David
'95 SC
5-speed

Yeah its either the green gear inside for the speedometer, or if that isnt broken the electronic circuitboard can go bad.

- Dan

My 95 Odometer also stopped working about 6 months ago. Is there any symptons that would lead you one way or the other, as far as which one it is, the gears or the elec. circuitboard? I think mine went out when I pushed the trip odometer button. Too hard maybe? Broke the gears? That's my guess. :rolleyes:Is there any way to check the elec. cicuitboard before taking the dash apart.

I have heard the pushing the reset on the trip odometer while you are driving will cause the small gear to strip....

On all the odometers that I have taken apart, I find that the stripped gear is locked up on its shaft...

Lack of lubrication......:confused:

I would guess most likely the gears, and probably no way to tell without taking the instrument panel apart and looking at gears. If it's not the gears, I've also seen posts that could be the stepper motor that turns the gears.

5 bucks says it's the gears. In fact I just pulled my cluster today, and sure enuf, that little green gear was missing a tooth. :cool: Good thing I blew 60 bucks on a new gear before tearing it out. When I touched the gear with my finger it broke into a thousand small pieces. So bottom line? The gears are crap and yours are too. Sux. Just pull the cluster take it apart carefuly, spend the money for the gear, and it will work again.

5 bucks says it's the gears. In fact I just pulled my cluster today, and sure enuf, that little green gear was missing a tooth. :cool: Good thing I blew 60 bucks on a new gear before tearing it out. When I touched the gear with my finger it broke into a thousand small pieces. So bottom line? The gears are crap and yours are too. Sux. Just pull the cluster take it apart carefuly, spend the money for the gear, and it will work again.

Thanks, thats what I'll do, It wouldn't make sense to take it apart first & then order the part

Back