Dyno results of the whipple

kenewagner

Took the car to Lincoln to do some base line pulls to see what kind of numbers it would put down. Even though the car feels wickedly fast, the numbers are the same more or less as the M112:( Im sure after looking at comparrisions of average numbers it will show on the average better numbers which might account for the feeling of it being stronger. The best HP pull was 321 on a blotched run. The next best run was 308.48. Torque never top 400 which is what the M112 made. Pulls started at 60 to 65 MPH which seem high and might account for the lower TQ numbers. Boost was very consistant 18+ top of 19.13. There seemed to be on a couple or pulls some belt slip just prior to cutting of the run. The jackshaft look to be the culprut. There was a lot of discussion on the transmission. It seemed to lock up the converter at around 3 to 3500 RPM. When rolling into WOT it just seemed to rev instantly before the pedal hit the floor. Not sure if the 145,000 mile tranny is not slipping and causing some of my woes. The car has not had any tuning other the the tune for the M112. The owner of the Dyno felt that the blower was possibly to big and was running to slow to be in its efficency RPM. I cant really spin it faster as it would drive the boost to high. I was comfortable with the 19lbs. All in all I was disappointed with the lack of good numbers but there are still changes to be made to the car so I will continue to work out the right combination to make it come together.

Ken

I thought you would make some higher numbers also, around 400rwhp. Maybe you need to drop it off to Dave Dalke for a couple of weeks, I bet he can get it figured out.

wheres the video:eek::eek:?????:D:D;):rolleyes:

Took the car to Lincoln to do some base line pulls to see what kind of numbers it would put down. Even though the car feels wickedly fast, the numbers are the same more or less as the M112:( Im sure after looking at comparrisions of average numbers it will show on the average better numbers which might account for the feeling of it being stronger. The best HP pull was 321 on a blotched run. The next best run was 308.48. Torque never top 400 which is what the M112 made. Pulls started at 60 to 65 MPH which seem high and might account for the lower TQ numbers. Boost was very consistant 18+ top of 19.13. There seemed to be on a couple or pulls some belt slip just prior to cutting of the run. The jackshaft look to be the culprut. There was a lot of discussion on the transmission. It seemed to lock up the converter at around 3 to 3500 RPM. When rolling into WOT it just seemed to rev instantly before the pedal hit the floor. Not sure if the 145,000 mile tranny is not slipping and causing some of my woes. The car has not had any tuning other the the tune for the M112. The owner of the Dyno felt that the blower was possibly to big and was running to slow to be in its efficency RPM. I cant really spin it faster as it would drive the boost to high. I was comfortable with the 19lbs. All in all I was disappointed with the lack of good numbers but there are still changes to be made to the car so I will continue to work out the right combination to make it come together.

Ken

Good luck Ken. Thats actually not too shabby with no tuning for that set-up, I dont think. You know it will make more, just gonna take some tinkering

Everything on the car is the same except the blower, cam and heads. Cam is a very small and mild grind.Viedo was taken and will be posted. Just have to wait untill the guy recording it puts it up

Ken

Last edited:
Well that is clearly disappointing Ken, but I have to say that I've never really been to happy or comfortable with your car. I'm not sure about the tranny, but all those problems we had with the DIS and high rpm spark issues, I'm not sure that those were ever completely resolved. I'd like to have the chance to work with the car again at some point if possible. Your current tune is not terribly aggressive and it is completely possible that your blower setup is triggering your knock sensor making good power numbers hard to get. You could try unplugging the sensor on the dyno. Too bad I didn't think about that before you went.

I'm also not happy with your Mustang headers. I can't prove that they are problematic but my gut says so. Your boost is very high for your HP level and I can't help but think that the exhaust may be the culprit on that one.

Having said that though, keep in mind that Anthony Arnold's motor "only" makes about 325rwhp but manages to run extremely low 12's with regularity.

Put the new tranny and try again. Before thinking anything else.

That blower as you know supports alot of air, You might have to go big on the heads and cam in order to take advantage of it. Also you should be able to add more timing now that the Intake temps are lower.

All in all iss still a powerful car, you just got there in a very different and expensive way. :(

Keep at it and good luck.

That reminds me I have those Mustang headers too, dang it.

Your on the right track Kene. Sounds like DD has some ideas for you to work off of.

Don't let dyno numbers get you down Ken! My Lincoln puts down almost 400 to the ground, but I guarantee you are way faster than I am.

Having it run as well as it does right out of the box with the new blower setup is quite an accomplishment in itself. You'll get the details worked out. ;)

Thomas

You'll get to where you want to be Ken. I get excited thinking of what your final outcome will be. All I know right now is it'll be good. :)

A few of the pictures I took.

Engine.jpg

The Beast

Dyno1.jpg

Just before the runs started

-Melon

I've learned to ignore dyno numbers, all they do is stress you out.

Let the measuring stick be the mph at the track.

When Dave tuned my car I believed it pulled something like 360rwhp, I did 2 passes at the track last year and one of them was a 12.2 run @ 114, launching from pretty much a stand still.

Had I launched around 2500 rpm and took off my 18" wheels, I'm sure it would have given me an 11.99 or better.

Ken,

Don't give up...I'm sure there is something holding you back. Do you still have cats on the car ?

David

No giving up here. I just running it for now just the way it is. I will try to get into Daves hands sometime this year. It will light up the tires at the drop of a hat so it not like it is really slow. The tranny will be in it within a week. And I have a new project lined up for it to take it over the top. I dont even need a wallet anymore cuz it all empty:D. I should have got a mistress, it would have been a lot cheaper;) No cats but I do have the mustang headers and dave feels they could be one of the problems.

Ken

Last edited:
How fast does your blower need to be spun to? If you are spinning it below its effiency zone, you will benefit greatly by spinning it faster. Sounds like you'll need to be able to flow more air through the engine if this is the case. 19psi is definitely enough for your current setup. Always things to work out on this kinda setup, but I'm glad its working ok so far. Of course, the work is top notch also but unfortunately thats only half the battle in this game!!

Chris

How fast does your blower need to be spun to? If you are spinning it below its effiency zone, you will benefit greatly by spinning it faster. Sounds like you'll need to be able to flow more air through the engine if this is the case. 19psi is definitely enough for your current setup. Always things to work out on this kinda setup, but I'm glad its working ok so far. Of course, the work is top notch also but unfortunately thats only half the battle in this game!!

Chris

The current setup is a stock crankshaft pulley 5% J/S and a wopping big 4" pulley on the blower. I beleive better heads, better headers and a cam that breathes deeper would allow it to be spun a little faster gettin more out of the blower. I have a few plans:D

Ken

Back