why the height difference??

patragz22

I just put KYB shocks on my car, the car had H&R springs before install and now for some strange reason the front sits higher than before. And I'm not to happy with the feel of these shocks also, but it was the only thing I could afford. Had the factory shocks before. anyone else use KYB shocks? seems like the car has alot of bounce to it when you push down on the front end.

The KYBs are high-pressure gas shocks. Sometimes they will give you about 1/2" extra on the ride height. No personal experience with them in an MN-12, sorry.

cheers
Ed N.

I just put KYB shocks on my car, the car had H&R springs before install and now for some strange reason the front sits higher than before. And I'm not to happy with the feel of these shocks also, but it was the only thing I could afford. Had the factory shocks before. anyone else use KYB shocks? seems like the car has alot of bounce to it when you push down on the front end.

I have the same problems. I originally used S/T springs and thought that was the problem. Later I switched to H&R with the same results. I'm convinced that the shocks themselves are making the car sit higher in the front. It's been years too, so spring settling and bushing wind-up is not the issue.

I put some KYB GR2's on the back of my mom's 93 LX, and it seemed to raise the rear end up about 1/2" also. :confused:

Thomas

thanks for response guys, I am so used to my car being low that this height difference is driving my crazy. Gotta remedy this soon, my b-day is next week so maybe I'll ask for cash and get koni shocks.

not sure why they do this...but they do. And it's driven me nuts for years. I did however check the physical differences between the kyb and the stock ones and they matched up. Spring heights, length, hole locations, ect are all the same. So it must be something within the shock itself causing the issue.

When you installed the shocks and springs did you load the suspension before tightening your pivot points (knuckle bolts, upper and lower control arm mounting points etc etc etc)?

I saw a blurb on the box of some shocks I recently installed; stating that ride height may be increased slightly due to the shocks. I'm sure there's some explaination out there in internet world for the issue.

okay Duffy, I thought about this too, I did not load the suspension, what is the best way to load the suspension without installing the wheel? I still do not like the way it bounces.

What I did once before when I rebuilt the suspension before I knew about bushing wind-up was take the car to an alignment shop and have them loosen all the bolts I messed with with the car on the rack, bounce the car to get it to settle and then re-torque to specs the same bolts. My front end dropped maybe a quarter inch when all the bolts were loosened primarily when the upper control arm inner pivot bolts were done.

What I have seen done is to place a jack under the suspension arms with the car on jackstands, bolts loosened and use the jack to load the suspension as best that can be done then re-torque.

Back