Converting 01 N/A 3.8 to fit in 93 bird

snowman93

Does anyone know what all i have to swap from my 93 engine to the 01 block. I know heads, intake, motor mounts and accesories. Is that it? Also my 93 is old fashion distributor style. Im guessing that will drop right in place of the DIS cam sensor?

Let me know please.

Thanks

Jeremy

Does anyone know what all i have to swap from my 93 engine to the 01 block. I know heads, intake, motor mounts and accesories. Is that it? Also my 93 is old fashion distributor style. Im guessing that will drop right in place of the DIS cam sensor?

Let me know please.

Thanks

Jeremy

a little confused....you're taking an NA 01 block and putting it into an NA 93? or a supercharged 93???

Supercharged 3.8 had forged internals and a lower compression ratio. Be cautious of running boost on non sc internals.

otherwise if it is NA --> NA is pretty straightforward. you have everything covered that I can remember from my swap (mine was a 94 stang to a 92 bird [na --> na])

Actually, it's not the same. It is "apples to apples" but it's like Red Delicious and Granny Smith apples.

Pre-99 3.8L's were Singleport, 99+ 3.8L's were SplitPort. Rod/racecougar has put a Splitport 3.8L from a 99 Mustang I believe into his 94 T-Bird.

-Melon

Ok thats what i thought . . . i can take the top end off my pre-99 3.8 and put it on the 01 block, and then i should be set i think. The 01 block im getting is coming complete. (split-port intake and all) I wasnt planning on swapping to the split-port setup and i was just going to reuse the single port, but is it worth it? Or is it too much work? I kinda want to make this swap a quick and cheap deal. But if its night and day i would consider getting the ecu and making some changes.

PS Yea its ('93-N/A) to ('01-N/A)

Last edited:
so.. you've got an na 93, yes? i hope... becasue the 93 sports were v8 cars...

the splitport swap is great, and very much worth it, but it will not be quick and easy... if its na, swap the blocks, easy enuf.

if its sc... be prepared to lift heads the moment you get on it the ffirst time.

high compression + 13 psi.... = kaboom!

and if you do blow it up... jsut know we want pics and video... :D;)

Whats all involved in the swap? I'll have a complete engine with most of everything besides ecu and such. . .

I was dreaming myself of using a 96 bird, find a new 99-02 3.8 mustang engine to use the block from, build a SC like engine and use a stang chip setup to tune for boost and whatnot, as its obd2 I should have all sorts of tunning ability.

If you're wanting to do a splitport swap, run a search on "splitport" over at TCCOA and read through the threads. There is a wealth of info on the swap posted there. If you have any specific questions on the swap afterward, let me know.

Update!

I know its been awhile but the swap worked out perfectly! I took a 01 3.8 mustang engine stripped off the intakes, heads, accessories, fuel rail, injectors, timing cover, water pump and hoses and wiring. Until i had it down to the short block basically. then slapped on my existing 93 parts timing cover, water pump etc. . . . . everything swaps perfectly right on. you use all gaskets from a 93 or whatever set you swapping it to 89, 90 ,91 etc. . pushrods and all the valvetrain will be completely compatable also. The only thing defferent is the head bolts. Just get 99-04 head bolts bc of the updated (deeper) threads. Then you are set!! then just drop it in and hook everything up as the late model setup would! existing 93 injectors, sparkplugs, and everything. I also noticed while doing the build that the bottom end out of the 01 mustang 3.8 is alot beefer! With a main stud girdle and windage tray and everything! STOCK! I dont know if its me or what, but i swear this set-up even sounds better. (same exhaust mind you). The balancer is marked 0 and it is kinda odd bc of the dis setup that came stock with the 99-04 years. but if you mark 0(TDC) and just go 10 degrees BTC your fine! Ive had 0 problems using this swap I strongly recomend it for a cheap NA upgrade :D!! i do not know how it would handle with a m90 on it. but it seems like it could. But you might run into crank problems. . . anyhow if anyone is doing this swap! feel free to contact me :cool:

Last edited:
Back