How much do early and late style SC wheels weigh?

Kurt K

SCCoA Member
Like the title says, how much do early and late-model SC wheels weigh without tires. I'm trying to determine which wheel I want to use for my new drag tires.

Kurt

P.S. I tried searching for this answer a while back without much luck.

I don't have actual weights for the two, but by feel, the later SC wheels (with tires) are lighter. I would guess 1-3 lbs each, but then again, it's possible that the different tires contributed to the difference.

As I recall, someone said they were about 25lbs per wheel. Add another 20lbs for the tire and, to me, thats about what it seems like whenever I'm lifting them up onto the hubs. :cool: I'll weigh one this evening if I can remember to do so. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a late-model wheel without tire that I can weigh, but all of my early SC wheels have tires on them. I know there's a lot of hearsay about approximate weights, I'm curious about actual weights, but I'd rather not pay to remove a tire from the wheel just to find out.

I just weighed a early style wheel - 23.2 pounds on my bathroom scale. That is without the snap-on cover.

Well, I thought I had a set of late style SC wheels without tires in my basement, but all I could find were some XR7 wheels without tires. I will try to weigh one tonight to get that information included in this thread.

OK, I finally removed the tires from my extra set of late model wheels and weighed them. I had been told by another member that they were lighter than early wheels. I don't have a set of tireless early style wheels to weigh on the same scale, but I do have both late SC and XR7 wheels. So here is what my bathroom scale says (only displays .5 lb increments):

89-90 XR7 wheels: 21.5 lbs
early SC wheels: 23.2 (from earlier in this thread)
late SC wheels: 19.5 lbs

wheels weighed without center caps

Back