94 sunroof shade problem (pictures included)

XR7-4.6

To start, my shade has been off the track on the passenger side for as long as I've owned the car, and has caused the shade to never open or close strait and smooth.

So... today I'm making an attempt to get the shade on track. I got the shade out by moving the glass all the way back, unscrewing the tracks and lifting them up a bit. Once it was out I cleaned off all the grease on the cloth from sitting above the track, and put it back in where its supposed to go.

After I tightened the screws back down the shade wouldnt budge, it turned out one end was actually under the track. So I moved it a little, same result only both sides seemed stuck. Its almost as if the shade is too big for the tracks:confused:

So heres a few pics to help explain the problem... keep in mind the driver side is in the track correctly...

driver side
sunroofissue007.jpg

pass. side
sunroofissue003.jpg

driver side
sunroofissue006.jpg

pass. side
sunroofissue005.jpg

driver side
sunroofissue008.jpg

pass. side
sunroofissue009.jpg

Any help or ideas would be very appreciated.

How far back is the shade when you tighten things down or are you closing it first and then tightening...?

I slid it back to where the glass is when I tighted it, but when I closed the glass the shade gets exposed like normal but stops before the handle is accessable and becomes very hard to pull closed.

Last edited:
Loosen the screws a bit & try again...just to see if there is still a direct result.

It just sounds like either the shade is still not slotted in where it should be, or something else is wrong, such as the slots are crushed, wrong shade, etc.

Well I think I got it, I ended up putting the shade itself above the tracks and having those little clips at the back ride in the tracks. I guess that was how its supposed to go together, it operates nice and smooth now.

Thanks for the help :)

That's great - thanks for the follow-up.

I want to take my shade out to clean it - Did you just remove screws for the rear set of tracks, lift and then slide it out towards the front and up, or....?

Last edited:
That's great - thanks for the follow-up.

I want to take my shade out to clean it - Did you just remove screws for the rear set of tracks, lift and then slide it out towards the front and up, or....?

Yea pretty much. I took out all the screws exposed and snaked the shade between the lower metal and glass. Kinda tight, but it works.

Back