PSI Cluster Problem

Braff77

So I installed new white gauges..Took cluster out of car to make sure I did it right..Unplugged the wire that the PSI was plugged into and when I put it back in and started her up the PSI needle didn't move at all..Everything else works Properly..So I pulled the cluster to make sure it was plug in, which it was..Question is did I disconnected something that the PSI wire runs to??? What did I do wrong?? :mad: Any help would be Great..Thanks in Advance..:D

What year SC?

PSI wire....sorry, I don't get that.

Did you pull the needles off any of the gauges? Because if you did, they are fragile and you can easily muck things up - just ask anyone that has BTDT - in this case it sounds more like you've pulled the hose so check that first.

Last edited:
It's a 92'..There is a wire that plugs into your cluster controlling the PSI gauge..I'm kinda new at this but I believe that's what it does.. Not really sure what's its called..just my best way to describe it.. I wasn't sure if it connected to something else...no needles removed..

It's a 92'..There is a wire that plugs into your cluster controlling the PSI gauge..I'm kinda new at this but I believe that's what it does.. Not really sure what's its called..just my best way to describe it.. I wasn't sure if it connected to something else...no needles removed..

The only PSI I see on my '90 cluster is on the 'vacuum/boost' gauge - is that what you mean? I believe there is a rubber hose that controls it.

You kept the stock gauges and just put new faces on them? Are you sure the needle is free to move?

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
The boost gauge has a rubber hose connected to the back of it. It is possible that when you pulled the cluster out, you yanked the other end of the hose off by the back of the blower. The hose in the car, behind the dash, goes through the firewall and connects to a plug on the back of the intake plenum, after the blower.

If you found a wire, stick it back where it belongs.. it has nothing to do with the boost gauge.

The boost gauge has a rubber hose connected to the back of it.

It should be obvious once you get the cluster out and look behind it, but it's actually a small black plastic tube with rubber ends - both ends are similiar (if not identical). :p Mike's idea of the other end pulling off is a good thing to check...it's easy to pull one of those ends off while wriggling that cluster around trying to plug in the electrical connectors. :rolleyes:

Are you sure the needle is free to move?

If you move the needle by hand (or take / took it off the gauge), be very careful with it. It's easy to mess up the calibration and make the gauge even more inaccurate. But, that shouldn't cause the needle to not move at all - just a heads-up from someone who has messed one up. :)

If you move the needle by hand (or take / took it off the gauge), be very careful with it. It's easy to mess up the calibration and make the gauge even more inaccurate. But, that shouldn't cause the needle to not move at all - just a heads-up from someone who has messed one up. :)

Agreed, despite my following the instructions about setting 'pre-load' on the needles, my speedo reads 20mph slow. I actually don't mind though b/c now my 120mph speedo acts as a 140mph speedo. :D

If you move the needle by hand (or take / took it off the gauge), be very careful with it.

Because they are fragile and you can easily muck things up - just ask anyone that has BTDT - in this case it sounds more like you've pulled the hose so check that first.

Because they are fragile and you can easily muck things up - just ask anyone that has BTDT - in this case it sounds more like you've pulled the hose so check that first.

Shrimp forks work good for needle removal.

Thanks 2 all!!!!

Just wanted to thank all and everybody who help me figure this problem out...Got under the hood today and sure enough the hose had been pulled out of the Tube..connected it back..and it works good as new again..Thanks again...:D

Hope all my problems are this easy!!! LOL!!!!

Back