Wont Start. Please help fast.

sho_shane

I have a 93 SC Auto trans. Got the car with no brakes and was told it was a Presser check valve was what was wrong. Not really knowing a lot about the car I could see that it needed some gaskets and some new belts. So I tore into it with a smile.

Now I have it back together and it fired right up the 1st time but made a clicking sounds buy the alt/bat area. So we shut it down to look for the sound but did not find anything that looked wrong. So we fired it up again and it was making the same sound. While it was running again (still clicking) I pushed down on one of the plug wires on the coil pack and it shut down.

Now when you try to crank it, it wont even make half a turn before it back lashes. We tried holding the key for a sec and the starter starts to smoke. I touched the pos and neg on the bat and both wires are hot. So I unplugged the bat and now Im hoping maybe you guys can help me with whats wrong.

When it was tore down I pulled the alt, PS (replayed seals), Pulled and replaced PS hoses, Pulled intercooled and hard piping (replaced hard piping O rings, Pulled bat tray to clean it out and up,Pulled and replaced the belts, Pulled the A/C to get to the belts.

Then I put it all back the way it was. The car was running fine when I tore it down so I know that it has to be something dumb but I just cant figer it out. Please help as soon as you can, This is my only car and I have work in the morning. Thanks for any and all help.

Check to see if any of the wiring harness on the front of the engine (crank or cam sensor) has been cut by a belt.

Check the balancer to see if it is loose/wobbling.

Check the starter switch in the dash, down on the right side of the steering column.

With the clicking and starter smoke I don't think you'll get very far soon, sorry - have any spares?

>But will not even make one turn.

If you mean that the starter now does nothing (?), you may have melted a wire/connector/fusible link that feeds it. Do you have a volt meter?

Last edited:
Ok so I can fire it up now but it will not idel. If you hold the pedal alittle it will rev up and down then even out after a little bit but if you let off the pedal it stumbles till it dies. After that it will fire back up and do the same thing.

Ok so I can fire it up now but it will not idel. If you hold the pedal alittle it will rev up and down then even out after a little bit but if you let off the pedal it stumbles till it dies. After that it will fire back up and do the same thing.

Sounds like a vacuum leak - check the intercooler/tubes/joints...this is critical, so don't treat the inspection casually or attempt any short-cuts :)

I've never had to pull the AC to get to pull the belts off of an SC, what was that all about just out of curiousity?

Sean

I know this sounds hokey, but take some duct tape and wrap it around the Inner coller pipes. This will help eliminate them as a possible source of vaccum leaks. The, if it fixes the idle, you know where to start. If not, then you at least thats not the problem.

Ok so I replaced the Plugs and wires. And also used some high temp gasget maker to make new gaskets for all the piping. So now the clicking is gone. Now it just wont idle. If you dont hit the gas t will fire up run a sec then shut down.

wat octane rating r u using? and is ur air filter clean? and how long its been since u changed ur fuel filter? and while idling unplug ur MAF and see if it stops stalling on ya....start wit these things first then go ahead step by step...

Automotive Technician Student Second Year

BuRHan

do NOT use very high octane gas either, not good unless u have done some modes to it...jus stay around 92 or 91....that burns rite at the time wen car wants it ( with stock setup )....plus since i bought my BIRD SC 90 auto like a week ago i noticed one thing that its very VERY picky about the gas and the octane rating...i would recommend chevron 91 or 92 octane gas....

Last edited:
Ok so fuel filter will have to wait till morning but I did unplug the MAF and it will idle and rev fine but the CE comes on. If you then plug in the MAF it will stumble till it dies at idle but will rev fine also.

ok change the fuel filter then see if it stops...looks like ur car is running lean and its sucking extra air from somewhere else which ECU doesnt know about....anyways...dont wanna get too complicated....jus change ur fuel filter and see if it stops and try to take the maf out and clean that little thin wire inside with maf cleaner ONLY...u can get the maf sensor cleaner at any auto parts store for about 10 bucks....and it very useful and i m sure it will make the difference and u can use it in future too....

Back