Felpro Head bolts question

RedSC93

Quick question I have the Ford T-bird repair guide book and I went though and torqued to spec. on all the head bolts then it tells me to do a 90-110 degree turn on all of them. What should the ending torque be? Seems to be about 110lbs seems high to me.

Jerry

+1 for chevy 2.8 arp head studs...thats what I used.

I tried to search for the procedure and dont have my manual on me...but do a search for arp head stud procedure and you will get plenty of hits.

AFAIK, they are 'torque-to-yield', meaning that final 90~100 deg. turn stretches them/crushes the gasket and then you stop - done.

Quick question I have the Ford T-bird repair guide book and I went though and torqued to spec. on all the head bolts then it tells me to do a 90-110 degree turn on all of them. What should the ending torque be? Seems to be about 110lbs seems high to me.

Jerry

If you're using standard head bolts (not ARP) the follow the instructions in the book. As was stated, the final twist is to stretch the bolt beyond the yield point to apply an increased clamping force that wouldn't be possible if you didn't stretch the bolt. Using the degrees to measure the turn is more accurate than a typical home torque wrench value.

ARP part numbers for 2.8L Chevy Head Stud set:

233-4303 - 12 point (nut) set

or

233-4003 - 6 point (nut) set

Back