Tubular Dude.....

Yea..I ran out of argon, so that's all I could do until I get another tank. Test fit it under the car tonight and it fit like a glove. :D Just have to attach the motor mounts, steering rack mounts, strut rod mounts and tie up the loose ends and it should be good to go...ready for #2.

I just bought a new Miller mig welder which comes in tomorrow, but I rather tig the whole thing, including tacking it so I'll have to get another bottle of argon before I can move forward.

Yea..I ran out of argon, so that's all I could do until I get another tank. Test fit it under the car tonight and it fit like a glove. :D Just have to attach the motor mounts, steering rack mounts, strut rod mounts and tie up the loose ends and it should be good to go...ready for #2.

I just bought a new Miller mig welder which comes in tomorrow, but I rather tig the whole thing, including tacking it so I'll have to get another bottle of argon before I can move forward.

Watch It! You will fall into the "Its Not an SC" class! :D

I would suggst you add some gussets to those welded joints as well to spread the load. Perhaps you already planned on them when you get more gas. If so excuse my comment.

I still have a lot of work to do on it. I'm doing some more structural analysis on it now to determine the need for gussets. I'm sure they will help, but additional welding adds more heat, and as a result more warpage.

There are so many joints, that you have to be very selective on how you weld this up, especially with tig. Doing it in the wrong order will cause lots of twisting and internal stresses. The design is very simple, but a lot of time went into making the actual jig to pick-off specific locations. It takes a lot of time to set-up the parts, measuing, checking, squaring, measuring, measuring, fitting, cutting, checking, squaring, etc before anything is tacked in there. Just by the nature of the design, it's going to be tricky to weld up.

One thing is for certain though...TONS of room under the car. All the plugs can be reached from below as if you were changing your oil filter. Dirrect access to the motor mounts, starter, power steering, etc. This is the one area that I'll be looking forward to.:D

I can, but it will be tomorrow before I can post them. It is already in the car so if you want different, it will be a while as I do not want to take it back out. I will tell you that with the heims in it, you have to piece it together and take it apart to get the alignment right...I will have pix of that.

SWS

dscn1946.jpg

from the top down driver side...

dscn1947.jpg

from the top down pass side

dscn1948.jpg

from the outside driver side bottom

dscn1949.jpg

same...pass side.

SWS

Chris, it looks like yours is slightly different than the one that Thomas posted. The rear pieces that support the control arm mounting points seem to go at an extreme angle, as if they used the forward of the two rear mounting holes. :confused: Also looks like they used tubular pieces to attach the motor mounts rather than flat plate...at least on the pass side.

Also, did your car have the hard brake line running right where the frame rail is? If so, how did you overcome that? Mine has the line running where I marked your photo with red. It passes right under where that top tube goes.

modpic.jpg

Last edited:
Back