Brake Upgrade!!! Help!!!

Birdman TCCoSC

Quick question, what (if anything) modifications do i need to make on converting my front brakes to two piston calipers and rotors from a 2001 Crown Vic? Will they fit on my stock SC rims (16's)? Do i need to upgrade brake lines? Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thank You,
Raul

As I'm sure others will chime in on this, the easier swap would be the Mark 8 equipment, or that from a later Thunderbird Sport, each had 11" brakes. I dont know what would be required do do what you're wanting, or that the geometry of the arms and such would be the same. You could do a search and see exactly what it takes for the Mark and t-bird parts. There is better equipment to be had from later mustangs as well, it can be found in a search too.

Quick question, what (if anything) modifications do i need to make on converting my front brakes to two piston calipers and rotors from a 2001 Crown Vic?

If using Cobra calipers (PBR 2-piston), all you have to do is re-drill the brackets or buy the pre-drilled brackets from Baer Brake Systems. Since the Cobra calipers were standard equipment on SVT Mustangs with 13" rotors, the brackets that hold the calipers to the spindle need to be re-drilled to lower the calipers for use with the 12" Crown Vic rotors.

The 01 Crown Vic brakes would not go on an MN12 without some serious fabrication, if at all. 98-02 they are actually 12.4" rotors, with a huge deep hat offset.

If you want larger brakes that go under stock SC wheels, your options for a direct bolt on to 93-up MN12 spindles are Lincoln Mark VIII / T-Bird Sport 11.6" rotors with single piston calipers, 99-04 Mustang V6/GT dual piston PBR calipers over the stock SC rotors.

As Duane mentioned, the Cobra dual piston PBR calipers for the 13" rotors can be modded by drilling another set of holes in the mounting brackets to reposition them over 12" rotors. The rotors would either be cut-down Cobra 13" rotors, or 03-08 Crown Vic 12" rotors, with some slight shimming needed side-to-side on the caliper brackets, as the hat offset of the Crown Vic rotors is slightly different. See this thread for more info:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62433

cheers
Ed N.

I have the Mustang PBR Calipers on my LX. Was a nice simple upgrade which has served me quite well. Needs a bit of grinding (lot of info on SCCOA and TCCOA). I opted for Hawk pads as well.
Just my 2 cents.

Matt

Back