one of my boys was massacred last night...pix

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Yesterday the most terrible thing happened. Some low life hit my blue 89 while it was parked in front of my house. As for insurance purposes the car is totaled period, but i dont want to let this car go unless its just beyond repair. Im taking it to the body shop tomorrow simply so they can tell me if the frame is bent or not. If its not, then i dont care spending whatever in order to have it fixed (maybe SWB?). THis was my first car...the one that started all this tbird mania on me, so needless to say i'm beyond devastated. Of course my luck, it was a hit and run by some drunken idiot who simply got out of his truck and ran away.

LIke i said, insurance will total it period, but i'm going to ask for the car back. Does anybody think this has a possibility for repair? If it has repair i'll have to find a place to store it while I find a place that will do the repairs. The only thing that came to mind is replacing the entire rear part...kind of like the short wheel base concepts from Autokraft...and shoot...call me crazy but i'll spend the 8k on this car to have it again. Yes its worth that much to ME, i just need to know if its repairable. Maybe im just in denial because of my loss.

If its simply beyond repair i'll have to suffer and strip the car for all my parts. The thing has a pretty much new engine and alot of goodies. Sux bc i had just purchased some 18's that i was going to put in it and i was planning to start fixing it up more after i finish the engine swap on my 92.

03222009002.jpg

03222009001.jpg

03222009.jpg

Yesterday the most terrible thing happened. Some low life hit my blue 89 while it was parked in front of my house. As for insurance purposes the car is totaled period, but i dont want to let this car go unless its just beyond repair. Im taking it to the body shop tomorrow simply so they can tell me if the frame is bent or not. If its not, then i dont care spending whatever in order to have it fixed (maybe SWB?). THis was my first car...the one that started all this tbird mania on me, so needless to say i'm beyond devastated. Of course my luck, it was a hit and run by some drunken idiot who simply got out of his truck and ran away.

LIke i said, insurance will total it period, but i'm going to ask for the car back. Does anybody think this has a possibility for repair? If it has repair i'll have to find a place to store it while I find a place that will do the repairs. The only thing that came to mind is replacing the entire rear part...kind of like the short wheel base concepts from Autokraft...and shoot...call me crazy but i'll spend the 8k on this car to have it again. Yes its worth that much to ME, i just need to know if its repairable. Maybe im just in denial because of my loss.

If its simply beyond repair i'll have to suffer and strip the car for all my parts. The thing has a pretty much new engine and alot of goodies. Sux bc i had just purchased some 18's that i was going to put in it and i was planning to start fixing it up more after i finish the engine swap on my 92.

nuff said.....sry about the loss.

Just an idea, if you do some searches youll find i think Rico and a few using sc parts to make things for their homes, end tables etc. Then when someone comes over and says whats that car part on the wall or something, you say thats my first car:p

:eek:
working in the auto wrecking business, I am pretty certain that your car is repairable.. it's going to have a salvaged title, but just make sure to check the drivetrain, drive line being pushed into the trans, stuff like that... I'm sorry for your loss... it's a sad thing to have happen....

:eek:
working in the auto wrecking business, I am pretty certain that your car is repairable.. it's going to have a salvaged title, but just make sure to check the drivetrain, drive line being pushed into the trans, stuff like that... I'm sorry for your loss... it's a sad thing to have happen....

I also would agree that It could be repaired. It will take a lot of time and money to do so though. Your best bet would be to find another thunderbird for cheap and use it as a parts car for yours. You will deffinetly want to check the drivetrain out though. My brother hit black ice in his 96 mustang gt and went backwards into a telephone pole. We swapped everything over into a 95 v6 shell and then he sold it to our cousin. Our cousin had been driving it for a month and then one day he started losing gears. When he pulled the trans the fluid looked like silver paint. He took it to a shop to see what had happened to it and the mainshaft in the transmission was bent a little bit. So you will want to make sure the drivetrain is ok. Its sad to see an sc end up that way, sorry about the car. I am suprised to see that the rear window survived that!

Last edited:
car is fixable, i'm willing to bet you don't have any driveline problems

the car being parked and hit forward would cause the diff and everything to pull backwards away from the trans seal.

like said previously you'll need a complete donor car with a good rear end, you'll have to cut the car in half (literally) right at the beginning of the back seat on both cars. When you remove all the interior you'll see some lines in there that you can cut it at to get it about perfect. You'll need to weld it all back together and grind sand bondo sand primer sand primer sand then paint.

all you would need is a donor car to fix it. it's really not a big deal if you know someone with body experience.

I can tell you though that theres a 100% chance your motor mounts are broken now. Also you may want to check out around the k-member and the steering shafts. The engine may have twisted so much that it bent something in there.

looks like it was hit above the bumper. WHich is why it looks so bad. That wouldnt relate to large frame damage. The wheel doesnt even look like it moved. It will still be allot of work and money but its isnt nearly as bad as It seems I would think.

I dont know why everyone thinks the drivetrain would be totally screwed

Last edited:
I would say that YES that car is fixable but it is not going to be cheap. At school we had a ford focus thats frame was off by 11-15mm in 7 different points and we were able to get it back to industry standards

-Jon

You'll need to weld it all back together and grind sand bondo sand primer sand primer sand then paint.

That sounds like way too much sanding for me. ;)

Califan - Sorry to see your car like that. If you lived closer to California, I have a complete rear quarter of a Tbird in my backyard you could pick up free.

- Dan

Last edited:
Car could definitely be back halfed with a donor car, but why?? Just take the insuance money and but another one. Isnt that a rusted out left rear fenderwell I see in the first picture?? No sense at all fixing a car that has a lot of cancer. In my opinion, that is. Buy another one...

First of, sorry this happened. Secondly, I realize its your first car, but???? Third and final, do you really want to take a chance on spending copious amounts of money on a 20 yr old car that has the potential for being a future mechanicalnightmare? The list of problems have been stated above, and many more can, and I am sure, will crop up. I had a 'Buick that was rear ended, with a lot less damage, insurance claimed it as totalled, but I just wouldnt say NO. A ****load of money later, I had a car that looked pretty, but never tracked right, wouldnt go more than a few miles without one or more problems creeping up.
Take the cash, whatever it might be, get a solid, non rusted donor, and swap away.
Again, sorry to hear this happened. Good luck in whatever you do.

Matt

First of, sorry this happened. Secondly, I realize its your first car, but???? Third and final, do you really want to take a chance on spending copious amounts of money on a 20 yr old car that has the potential for being a future mechanicalnightmare? The list of problems have been stated above, and many more can, and I am sure, will crop up. I had a 'Buick that was rear ended, with a lot less damage, insurance claimed it as totalled, but I just wouldnt say NO. A ****load of money later, I had a car that looked pretty, but never tracked right, wouldnt go more than a few miles without one or more problems creeping up.
Take the cash, whatever it might be, get a solid, non rusted donor, and swap away.
Again, sorry to hear this happened. Good luck in whatever you do.

Matt
i agree totally. at least the new sc would have some parts from your first.

If I were you I would get a new sc w/ you insurance money and transfer all of your parts over, engine etc, and she will live on. Give the new sc a heart transplant from your wrecked one and she will live another day! Cars have personalities and we fall in love with them, so she won't be gone for good,she will just live on in another way!

Stephen

the car was just towed to the shop that is going to check out the damage. I asked specifically to see if there is any damage to the frame. I guess well go from there.

This car has been a a rollercoster of pain and joy since I got it when I was 16, i guess im used to that and I guess thats why im so attached to it. I've spent several times the money that I paid for it back when i got it over 10 yrs ago ($2500)....just months after getting the car i had abs issues and ended up paying 2300 for a new abs pump WITH a recycled pressure switch from the old pump....which ofcourse was the problem originally. I remember Duffy back in the day helped me diagnose the problem after the fact.

>I asked specifically to see if there is any damage to the frame

Uni-body - no separate 'frame', but yeah, the issue as it stands does raise concern that I'm sure the shop can chime in on...only money I suppose.

At least now you don't have to worry about the rusted out wheel arches...

Last edited:
Again if you look it was hit above the bumper which is why it looks so bad. It will cost allot regardless...But if you look at the rear wheel in relation to the wheelwell..Doesnt look bad..Hey just make it an SC pickup truck:O)

the car was just towed to the shop that is going to check out the damage. I asked specifically to see if there is any damage to the frame. I guess well go from there.

This car has been a a rollercoster of pain and joy since I got it when I was 16, i guess im used to that and I guess thats why im so attached to it. I've spent several times the money that I paid for it back when i got it over 10 yrs ago ($2500)....just months after getting the car i had abs issues and ended up paying 2300 for a new abs pump WITH a recycled pressure switch from the old pump....which ofcourse was the problem originally. I remember Duffy back in the day helped me diagnose the problem after the fact.

As mentioned above. The body and frame are one on these cars. The body pieces are stamped and welded together to make the entire car. There is no seperate frame. It doesnt matter at this point anyway. Unless you know someone personally that will backhalf from a donor car for you. No bodyshop will take on that job without collecting first. Most wont mess with it period. Simply due to the car not being worth enough. Easily a 7-8,000.00 job. Take what you want off the car and let it go.

was it a hit and run? That's a nice Fox LX 5.0 back there too! Is that yours?
(my car is the same color if you're parting it)

Back