How to make cooling fan run?

speedwagen

Today was the first warm day for this spring, and I got stuck in a traffic jam.
Next comes the "check gages" light---oops its overheating.

The fan is not running---I have a vauge memory of a method to make the fans run manually-I thought it was to disconnect a shunt in a cable harness.

CRS symptoms got worse, and just had to park it till it cooled down.

Does anybody remember what I forgot ??????

How do you trick the fans onto running manually.

Turn on the A/c. The fan should come on. If not, could be a problem with the fan itself, or the IRCM module.

I found the post with the answer! now all I need to do is remember what the ECT looks like:)

Thanks guys for puttin' up with this same old question about "Hot Birds"
-----------------------------------------------------------------
the-big-e
You can't fix stupid
SCCoA Member #: 2502
Member Page Join Date: Oct 2004

What year is your SC......

It might be something simple like a bad relay in the IRCM.....

Can you tell which speed your fan is running......

Unplug the connector to the ECT sensor that is located right behind the blower tentioner.....
This will cause the low speed to come on and you will get a CEL.....

If that brings your engine temp down to an acceptable level, somewhere between the O and R, then there are other repairs you can do to make the fan operate and keep you engine cool.....

Every day, I set a personal record for consecutive days I have remained alive!

If you cut a crumb in half, you don't get two half crumbs, you get two crumbs
Doesn't this violate some law of physics?

Last edited:
Don't unplug the ECT sensor. It is used in calculating fuel and spark and a few other functions. Unplug that forces the car into Limp Home mode and you'll chase your tail trying to work around that one.

Get a code reader for the car... part of the process it does is to turn on each speed of the fan to ensure they are working.

Fraser

Don't unplug the ECT sensor. It is used in calculating fuel and spark and a few other functions. Unplug that forces the car into Limp Home mode and you'll chase your tail trying to work around that one.

Get a code reader for the car... part of the process it does is to turn on each speed of the fan to ensure they are working.

Fraser

Thanks, Fraser

I need to chase the gremlins down for sure, I was trying to remember how to limp home without blowing the head gaskets again.:(

later, Garry

Removing the connection for the ECT sensor should cause the fan to come on, just like turning on the AC.....

This is done only to check that the wiring and the fan are operating correctly....

Removing the connection for the ECT sensor should cause the fan to come on, just like turning on the AC.....

This is done only to check that the wiring and the fan are operating correctly....

Exactly, which means pulling the ECT connector to try to make them work could easily...not make them work :)

If a car isn't cooling properly and there is worry about taking out hg's if it is driven...not driving the car sounds like the best solution. Of course if that means standing around waiting for a tow truck in a bad neighborhood and you left your piece in your other pants, then hey...head on.

How do you trick the fans onto running manually.
Turn on the A/C for about 2 seconds, then switch it off. The fan should run for a minute or 2 and then shut off. Next thing to try is, rather than cutting wires, wire in a switch that will put 12V onto the low speed trigger wire. That is what the EEC does; you will not damage the EEC, but I would wire in a 200 ohm 1/2 w resistor just to be on the safe side.

You need to troubleshoot the problem though and find out if its the IRCM, the fan itself, the EEC or wiring. As for me, I have wired in a 3 position DPDT switch in my dash to select low-EEC-Hi in case something doesn't work when its supposed to. :cool:

One other "old school" way is to turn the heater to max and the fan on high speed....

Don't forget to roll the windows down.....:p

One other "old school" way is to turn the heater to max and the fan on high speed...
Mine makes such pathetic heat that that wouldn't do it any good. :rolleyes: I have to keep an ice scraper for freezing weather and not just for the initial window clearing.

Thanks to all for responding to such a wore out topic.
Thats the fun of C.R.S. syndrome--everything old becomes new again.:D

I can even watch old Star Trek episodes, and be amased by the ending again.

Thks, Garry

Back