Booster, bleeding and other woes

TheDog

I originally posted this in the ABS conversion post, but feel it deserves its own thanks.

Ok got all the brake lines hooked up and not leaking this time. I've got the booster adjust bolt to the MC pulled pretty far out, maybe a 1/4" behind the bolts that come out of the booster. I've bled the MC and the 2 front wheels. This gives me a nice firm pedal with a tight amount of play. I hooked my vacuum for the booster to the would be EGR (pix to come). I haven't bled the rear wheels yet.
Here's my problem, at pedal down I only glide to a hard stop. I feel that I can stop in time for most things, but in an emergency action, I'm screwed. I can't chirp my tires to lock them up for a bit. Any other cars I've driven, I can jab the brakes and they lock. Not with my new setup. They stop fairly shortly but not like they should. Any suggestions? Do I need a new MC? I got mine from a parts yard. My mechanic and I are thinking maybe the MC is bad but I would like some input. By the way, when we were bleeding, the MC was pushing fluid out both the front and rear ports. Just wondering if the MC isn't performing as it should or maybe something else.

*Update*: After running those test drives, I decided to take the car for a spin a few days later. I put it in gear and the brakes are holding. The pedal is high and solid, no give. My calipers are grabbing the discs without me even on the pedal! What would cause the change? What happens if the booster isn't getting enough vacuum?? What will it do? I plumbed a T into the EGR while I notice most others did it to a SC plenum. HELP!!!!

Im curious about why you took it out for a spin without bleeding all four wheels? With any air in the lines, its not going to stop like you want it to (locking up the tires), am I correct?

On a side note, I just deleted the EGR on my car, is that going to cause problems with my brakes too?

Sean

When you bleed brakes you start from the furthest away from the MC and work back, that means right rear, left rear, right front then left front.

Sounds like you may need to adjust the rod in the booster in a bit. Also sounds like you need to get someone that knows braking systems to help you out locally before you hurt yourself or wreck the car.

I recommend you plumb this into the T fitting for vaccum behind the inlet. Using the large hose that runs off the top or back of the inlet plenum...run that for 5-6", install a T fitting and plumb the fitting from the booster to the bottom of the T. I am using the fitting for vaccum on the bottom passenger side of the vacuum T that is on the firewall below the cowl.

Last edited:
I live on an empty culdesack so I just drove up and down it a few times.
I thought I read in the big conversion thread that our cars don't have EGR. Mine's a 90. What would make my brakes grab the disks after just sitting there for 2 or so days?
Ok I'll have to "unbleed" the fronts and start from scratch? Rears 1st, then front.
Am I getting weak vacuum with the way I have the booster vacuum? I may have to do what tydlwavs said and re-do it. I'm attaching 3 pics so yall can see how I have it plumbed to the "EGR".

Attachments

• lines30.jpg
    lines30.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 163
  • lines20.jpg
    lines20.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 156
  • liness.jpg
    liness.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 150
Back