Kick down linkage on an AOD

kenewagner

As you can see from the pictures, the linkage is diffrent on my old AOD I just pulled from the car.(Picture 1) The Lentec has a diffrent bend to it. Problem? or just switch the linkage.

Ken

Attachments

• Tranny.jpg
    Tranny.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Tranny 1.jpg
    Tranny 1.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 238
Like stated earlier the range of motion is the important part, I don't think it will matter which one you use.................Dan

Like stated earlier the range of motion is the important part, I don't think it will matter which one you use.................Dan

If you look close at the pictures of the brackets they are at a different angles from bushing to bushing. One looks straight at 180deg and the other looks like about 160degrees. I would think this would have an effect no?

This concerns me. My Lentech shifts at 4000 RPM at WOT, Mr.Len claimed it was the tail shaft valve but I wonder if the kick down linkage would effect shift points?

There is also the govenor that comes in different weights. I switched one in my current setup. It was suggested to me because of my gearing.

Corey

If you look close at the pictures of the brackets they are at a different angles from bushing to bushing. One looks straight at 180deg and the other looks like about 160degrees. I would think this would have an effect no?

Both connection points are at about 1 o'clock and equal distant from the pivot point so the same movement of the cable should generate the same rotation at the shaft---so ---six of one and half dozen of the other............Dan

As David stated... Just swap them. That would be the easiest and most logical thing to do. Just remove the nut and the lever just slides off. It is keyed to the shaft so it can't get screwed up.

Believe me I've been there when I installed the AOD in my 1969 Cougar. I had to make a custom shift selector to match up the factory shifter linkage. The TV lever was installed and remover more times than I wish to remember.

Bryan

Both connection points are at about 1 o'clock and equal distant from the pivot point so the same movement of the cable should generate the same rotation at the shaft---so ---six of one and half dozen of the other............Dan

I gotta check my eyes :eek:

One looks straight at 180deg and the other looks like about 160degrees. I would think this would have an effect no?
If you pull the pan off and look at how the TV valve moves with cable movement, you'll see its no different. They (Lentech) probably put a different lever on to make clearance for something on the side.

This concerns me. My Lentech shifts at 4000 RPM at WOT, Mr.Len claimed it was the tail shaft valve but I wonder if the kick down linkage would effect shift points?
Absolutely.
The cable controls the position of the Throttle Valve (TV) pressure which balances against the govenor pressure to shift up or down.

More tension on the cable increases the TV pressure which will cause a later (higher RPM) up shift and earlier downshift.

Less tension reduces the TV pressure and will cause an earlier (lower RPM) up shift and later downshift.

I tune my TV cable 1 notch at a time to get it where it feels correct and I can get out of OD w/o having to floor it. :rolleyes:

At the reccomendation of Lentech, I adjusted my TV cable as tight as it would go without restricting the throttle plate from going wide open. I've been running it that way for several years. I have no idea at what rpms it shifts each of the gears at WOT, because I always shift it manually if I'm going WOT.

David

PS: When setting the TV cable tighter, make sure the connection to the throttle linkage is secure. If the cable falls off, you can toast the transmission very quickly.

At the reccomendation of Lentech, I adjusted my TV cable as tight as it would go without restricting the throttle plate from going wide open. I've been running it that way for several years. I have no idea at what rpms it shifts each of the gears at WOT, because I always shift it manually if I'm going WOT.

David

PS: When setting the TV cable tighter, make sure the connection to the throttle linkage is secure. If the cable falls off, you can toast the transmission very quickly.

Amen and Amen---exactly right full throttle and minimum throttle will generate maximum stink inside the transmission..............Dan

Back