new front mount i picked up, not the best of them

92sclikenew

the new front mount for the sc

well its for sure smaller then i was tryin to go with i didnt find out till after i payed for it that the sizes he told me was the whole thing and not just the core!

the whole thing ending in size of 21.5-10-3.5 the core is only 15-10-3.5

not to happy with it i might resell it.... maybe ill see what i can do with it i might beable to work with it :rolleyes: its still like 2.5 the size of stock

2 pics

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 344
  • untitled(2).jpg
    untitled(2).jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 68
Go with something bigger, better to do it the way you want the first time. I did the same thing, bought one I thought would be what I wanted and after getting it and thinking about it for a while before I started assembling my motor I changed my mind and found a larger version of the same style which was even cheaper than my original one, I then sold it for 1/2 what I had paid, lesson learned.

Go with something bigger, better to do it the way you want the first time. I did the same thing, bought one I thought would be what I wanted and after getting it and thinking about it for a while before I started assembling my motor I changed my mind and found a larger version of the same style which was even cheaper than my original one, I then sold it for 1/2 what I had paid, lesson learned.

i might i might not sell it if i use this one and dont like it the plan wont be to hard to change it out with something bigger..

but thanks for the advise! :D;)

Last edited:
A majority of the cooling is done within the first 6 inches of the core anyways. Going larger isn't always the answer. If you don't believe me, do the heat tranfer calcs and see if yourself. The remaining 12 inches provides little cooling improvement until the unit starts to get heat soaked.

Just my $0.02...

A majority of the cooling is done within the first 6 inches of the core anyways. Going larger isn't always the answer. If you don't believe me, do the heat tranfer calcs and see if yourself. The remaining 12 inches provides little cooling improvement until the unit starts to get heat soaked.

Just my $0.02...

so does this seem like a good size?

Depends where you want to put it and how you plan on using the car. I believe I used a larger size for mine, but I noticed space was an issue.

My size was 18x12x3(core) bar and plate IC....horizontal flow, with custom endtanks. The max you can fit in front of the bumper, height wise is about 13". This is if you place it in front of the ac condensor. Keep that in mind.

Depends where you want to put it and how you plan on using the car. I believe I used a larger size for mine, but I noticed space was an issue.

My size was 18x12x3(core) bar and plate IC....horizontal flow, with custom endtanks. The max you can fit in front of the bumper, height wise is about 13". This is if you place it in front of the ac condensor. Keep that in mind.

no a/c:p:D

this is my idea little draw up with paint.

i plan to move the rad over so i can run the pipe thats gonna be by the mafs next to the rad clean. and use 2 45* pipes to make it past the rad on the other side.

Attachments

• front mount idla setup.bmp
    192.3 KB · Views: 512
its still like 2.5 the size of stock

How do you figure that? A stock i/c has a core about 9x11x3. I'm just saying why fab it up just to find out it's not what you want, then you have to start over. Just my 2 cents worth but imo it's not worth the trouble for an i/c a little bigger than stock, have you ever seen a MP fmic? Huge core............just mounts in the wrong location........:rolleyes:

I have fabbed up 2 different style fmic's on 2 of my cars, 1 with the inlet/outlet on the same side and 1 with the inlet/outlet on opposite sides like you want to do. They both cool the air charge very well and they both have huge cores.

Last edited:
How do you figure that? A stock i/c has a core about 9x11x3. I'm just saying why fab it up just to find out it's not what you want, then you have to start over. Just my 2 cents worth but imo it's not worth the trouble for an i/c a little bigger than stock, have you ever seen a MP fmic? Huge core............just mounts in the wrong location........:rolleyes:

I have fabbed up 2 different style fmic's on 2 of my cars, 1 with the inlet/outlet on the same side and 1 with the inlet/outlet on opposite sides like you want to do. They both cool the air charge very well and they both have huge cores.

i didnt think the stock core was that big:rolleyes: but mounting somthing a bit bigger and up front im sure will help? like i said be for if i dont like it... it wouldnt be hard to change with how i plan. all i would have to do is change out a few pipes. not a big deal to me:rolleyes:
thanks tho

have you ever seen a MP fmic? Huge core............just mounts in the wrong location........:rolleyes:

Not to get into a huge battle over this but don't always assume that because something is on the market, with a huge core, that it's the best design, or even nessesary....

I used a 31x12x4" (24x12x4" core) and there isn't another air-to-air intercooler that I would choose over that. It worked very well.

The larger the intercooler, the more heat exchanging will take place.

Of course I don't have the knowledge most of you have. But I would think the IC / core would depend on the unit moving the air.

Considering the early models are less efficient, move less air. Wouldn't you use an IC comparable to the efficiency of the unit. Since an MPX moves more air, it would be best to utilize a larger IC / Core?

I doubt someone running a stock early model needs to go out and fab themselves up an IC utilizing a core the size of a twin bed. Future goals would play an important part in the decision on the size.

I think the quality and design of the IC plays a bigger part than size. Sort of "taint the size that matters its the motion of the ocean, I mean motion of the air that matters"

After extended periods of heavy throttle if you feel the inlet sides of my i/c's they're very hot to the touch but the outlet sides are cool to the touch so in my book that shows that air temp. from entrance to exit is dramatic and the i/c's are doing what I want them to do, provide cool ambient air to be ingested by the motor. Say what you want but I know what I have works very well.

yea, scratch everything I said. Might as well put an 8' x 16' x 32' IC core in there if you can fit it. The bigger the better right......:rolleyes:

yea, scratch everything I said. Might as well put an 8' x 16' x 32' IC core in there if you can fit it. The bigger the better right......:rolleyes:

You're silly!

I'm confident that anything else larger than what I had will not fit; therefore, I meant to imply that you should run the largest possible. With exception to core thickness, that is.

You're silly!

I'm confident that anything else larger than what I had will not fit; therefore, I meant to imply that you should run the largest possible. With exception to core thickness, that is.

I'm just messin with you guys. I do however trust my calculations, but anyone is free to put in there whatever they wish

well since this kind of got off track...

i know this ic isnt the biggers or best to use but do you guys think it could with stand 300hp. i know i dont know what it can flow and such.

thats all im going for:rolleyes::D

Just my $0.02...

This is an important consideration with an M90 blower. A short run IC will heat soak very quickly when subjected to 350+ deg inlet temps. Even a stock IC does a pretty good job of cooling with 85% efficiency in most cases, but SC folks are always looking for the last .0% so yes, bigger is just about always better. How much better is a matter of conjecture...

The IC shown in the first pic will do very well at moderate boost levels. It's not so much a function of how much HP the car makes as it is how much boost the blower makes. If you are running 15psi or less, IC requirements are not too high. If you are running 19-21psi the IC requirements are much greater...

Having said all that I think that IC will work very well at the 300rwhp level.

thanks dave now if i can get it to fit since its a little to short to make it around the radiator like i planed:rolleyes:

in my post (#7) it shows how im gonna have to route the piping. well thats the plan at the moment

im unsure how much boost ill be running. still dont know if im getting heads from you or what yet. still dont have enought money for ether yet:rolleyes:

This is an important consideration with an M90 blower. A short run IC will heat soak very quickly when subjected to 350+ deg inlet temps. Even a stock IC does a pretty good job of cooling with 85% efficiency in most cases, but SC folks are always looking for the last .0% so yes, bigger is just about always better. How much better is a matter of conjecture...

The IC shown in the first pic will do very well at moderate boost levels. It's not so much a function of how much HP the car makes as it is how much boost the blower makes. If you are running 15psi or less, IC requirements are not too high. If you are running 19-21psi the IC requirements are much greater...

Having said all that I think that IC will work very well at the 300rwhp level.

Does anyone run fans in these "true" front IC's? By that I mean IC's in front of the condencer and rad, as opposed to Magnums that in between.

when I installed mine I used the original fan in front of the condencer and installed the one provided by Magnum on the back of the rad (as directed).

My thinking is at least I'm pushing a little more cool air through the condencer (my AC is not running yet, have to covert, but is installed) while I'm sitting at red lights. My car will overheat without the 2 fans running.

Back