Warranty?? Good deal?

Good Idea

• Total voters

franky_402

SO i heard an ad on the radio today, wondering if its a good deal or not heres the breakdown

3 Years or 36k miles<br>
$100 deductible<br>
997.00 a year<br>
Towing included<br>
$295 Down with monthly payments of $149<br>
Bumper to Bumper warranty on everything, engine, trans, elec. brakes.<br>
Rental vehicle supplied <br>

When i called the guy i asked him about the warranty he asked the make/model/year i tell him its a 94 t-bird SC he then tells me the info and then he asks how many miles i have, i tell him it has 63K, and he was like 63 or 163, so he tells me let me talk to my supervisor because older than 15yrs we are not really supposed to offer full coverage, he comes back and says because they car is such low mileage they will give me full coverage. But im not sure if i should get this or not. I mean i know how the hg/s go and brake boosters or whatnot and this seems like it would be some great coverage to have. What would you guys do?? He says it is serviced any where in the country if i travel, and free towing to the nearest service center all that crap. Im thinkin i should cough up the money and get it.

There has got to be a catch somewhere. What happens when a brake booster fails or something that is an obsolete part. If you have it towed to Mayberry and goober cant find the parts, I am sure the gerry riggin starts. Than you end up taking your car back 15 times to find a problem they created when the best insurance is a the knowledge you have, a little cash and the SCCOA.

I NEVER buy an extended warranty on ANYTHING (cars, electronics, etc.). Huge rip-off.

On new cars, you can often negotiate an extended warranty as part of the deal, as a closing tactic, after you've driven your best deal. I've done this before. But, the fact that a dealership is willing to throw one in for free, indicates the true value...

If you buy one for your SC, I guarantee that you will encounter trouble if you try and collect. You are better to set aside that same amout of money in a savings account as a hedge against future repairs. You won't make much interest, but you won't be throwing it away either.

JD

>You are better to set aside that same amout of money in a savings account as a hedge against future repairs.

Bingo...+1 mod up!

RIP OFF! These companies make their money by scamming you. Will not cover anything when you need it. My friend owns a dealership and us to use these untill he found out that they pay out less than 10% of total claims. They will say it was a existing problem, you didn't keep proper maintenance etc. Buyer beware. Search the net to!

sounds like some great info. The main reason i was considering is becasue of the known problem with headgaskets. But i was thinking about this alot today. If they do blow i will probably be happier if i do it myself with the help of some members possibly, knowing it will be done right. I just wanted to get the views of some other members as to what i should do. Settin up another account is a great idea, besides the fact if im saving i know i have the money and ill be influenced into buying performance parts. We'll see how it goes however, i just started a new job today with great oppourtunites to earn some great money as long as i work hard.

>The main reason i was considering is becasue of the known problem with headgaskets.

That 'known' problem is typical of engines that aren't properly maintained and/or abused. If your engine doesn't fall into those categories, you can expect hgs to not be that much of an issue.

Are you seriously considering making payments on a warranty for a car that is 15 years old? How much did you pay for the car we are talking about here? 3-4 grand at most? Your going to pay a thousand dollars a year (25-33% of the purchase price)and pray that they will cover you when something goes wrong. Not to mention pay 100 deductible for each visit. What they dont tell you is that if you have a major mechanical failure, you are going to be responsible for the labor of teardown to inspect the failed parts to verify wether or not they are going to cover it. If the inspector see's a cold air intake, an aftermarket radiator or intercoler, let alone blower pulley, all bets are off. Then you are stuck with a car that is torn down at a place you cant afford to have it fixed at. You have to pay to get your car back that is now broken and taken apart.
I have a better idea. Give me the 997.00 and call me when your car breaks. You have about the same odds on me fixing it, as Fidelis, or any of those other aftermarket warranty company's. I wont charge you a deductible either. If you want a car with a warranty and are willing to make payments, buy a new car with a true bumper to bumper warranty. There is nothing Bumper to Bumper about an aftermarket warranty...ever.

Last edited:
i did pay 5k for the car but i totally understand what your talking about, i am now thinking i will just start a savings account to pay for any repairs that are needed. Thanks for the advice guys knew i could count on you

SO i heard an ad on the radio today, wondering if its a good deal or not heres the breakdown

3 Years or 36k miles<br>
$100 deductible<br>
997.00 a year<br>
Towing included<br>
$295 Down with monthly payments of $149<br>
Bumper to Bumper warranty on everything, engine, trans, elec. brakes.<br>
Rental vehicle supplied <br>

Find out where the company is located and contact the Better business group there and see what they say about that company. I'd also try and confirm the name of the company, you may need to call the secretary of states office in their state they incorporated in. If they don't want you checking that stuff out, I'd skip.

For folks looking for some "insurance" on their vehicle, the best thing you can do is open a new savings account and call that your car savings account. Get one that earns interest. Then stick that $149/month you would send to the warranty company into that savings account. Then when something goes wrong (and it will eventually) you'll have your cushion to repair it right without any drama. Best way is if you have direct deposit with your pay checks. Such systems usually let you stick parts of your check in a couple different accounts. Just figure a percentage, and have it dumped in there automatically. Makes it easy.

Back