This Noise is driving me Crazy!

Thomas A

My Cougar has developed a very annoying noise since getting it put back together. I rebuilt the whole front end, and added an ADDCO stabilizer bar up front. The noise is best described as a loud "chirp" every time I hit a bump, becoming equally louder as the intensity of the bump increases. It is very constant, and seems to be the same every time.

It seems to me that it is coming from the dash, or somewhere very near here. While it is directly related to the suspension, and the new firmer ride, I don't think it is a actual suspension problem, but rather something actually inside. I've tried hold my hand on different areas of the dash and trim, but nothing seems to change it. Before I tear half the car apart, does anyone have some suggestions where to look to isolate this noise?

I tried to take some video of it, but it didn't turn out well. The sound is quite loud though, and can easily be heard over the exhaust and radio. :mad:

What size sway bar? The larger bars need to have the sheet metal radiused on the inner fender well to prevent contact.

Also, it might be the sway bar bushings....

Could be a stress crack somewhere in the firewall/body near the dash - tough to find, maybe. They can cause popping noises, etc.

If you do locate one or more, drill a small hole (1/8" maybe), at each end of the crack and spray it with undercoating, until or unless you can have it welded up.

Another suspect could be the two large bolts that hold the rack to the sub-frame - make sure those are very tight.

Get a stethoscope and let someone drive you around while you search. Thats how we did it at the dealer. That or chassis ears...
Dash noises do suck...

One last thought...

Did you drop the front sub-frame to install the bar?

If you did, check to see if the eight sub-frame attaching bolts are torqued to 75 lb-ft.

I had a very similar problem when I did my suspension. It ended up being the upper control-arm bushing. They got a lot of bushing wind-up when I installed the new set. It was very loud in the cabin and sounded exactly like what you're describing. I just had to tighten down the arm with the full weight on the front of the car.

I had a very similar problem when I did my suspension. It ended up being the upper control-arm bushing. They got a lot of bushing wind-up when I installed the new set. It was very loud in the cabin and sounded exactly like what you're describing. I just had to tighten down the arm with the full weight on the front of the car.

Thanks, I'll check into that. I did tighten them with the weight on the car, but it hadn't fully settled yet. I'll loosen and re-tighten them with the car on the ground and see what happens.

Thomas

The noise is still there! I can't even stand to drive the car at this point.

I checked and tightened my sub frame bolts, loosened and re-tightened my upper control arms to ensure there was no bushing wind up, and checked to make sure the sway bars were clearing the body.

I did discover that the noise is for sure coming from somewhere out side of the cabin. I drove around for a while with my head out the window, and it is clearly coming from the front of car somewhere. It seems to make the noise as the hood is moving up and down going over bumps, but I am not sure if that is the cause of the noise or just an odd occurrence. I guess I could remove the hood and take it for a drive if I have to.

Any other suggestions?

Thomas

Inner fenders?

I fought squeaks and rattles a few years back, turned out to be both inner fenders. The plastic hardware wore and allowed everything to move. I found them by hitting the bumper up and down. Doesn't sound quite like your deal but its another thing to check. Good luck,
JJ

I did have both inner fenders out during the rebuild, so it is possible. I'll make sure they are not moving around.

Also, is there anything that I can spray on the bushings to ensure that they are not causing this noise?

Thomas

Thomas,

Before taking the hood off, try removing the seal between the wiper cowing and the hood. I've heard of the hood rubbing against the seal causing chirps similar to what you are describing. If tht fixes it, you just need to add a little lube between the two surfaces.

David

Thanks for the repsonses!

Dave, the cowl and weather strip have been off the car for a couple years now. Maybe someday I'll get it put back on there ;)

I have not checked that yet Chris. I had another idea at work that I will try first. I got to thinking about the noise and where I had it heard before. Then I remembered that I did not grease the new shocks when I mounted the springs to them. I think my springs might be squeaking on the shock body mount. I'm going to try to spray some lube in there and see if it changes at all. If it doesn't, then I'll try disconnected the end links. I hadn't even thought of doing that.

Thomas

I found it!! :D

After lubricating my hood hinges, latch, upper control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, and springs, I still had a noise. I finally figured out how to replicate the noise without driving the car, and had someone else listen while I bounced the suspension. We were finally able to track it down to the top of the shock, where it passes through the body. The metal washer on the top is rubbing slightly on the body of the car. I sprayed it with some silicone spray, and the squeak is gone!

That would explain why the noise got way worse when I switched it over to firm ride mode. I was about to drive the car into a tree!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Hopefully this thread will help someone else later down the road that might have some issues.

Thomas

Back