Exhaust heat

kenewagner

Just how hot does the exhaust pipes get? Cooler as the exhaust moves further away from the engine? I am changing out the center section pipe on my car from 3" to 31/2" I am intrested in if anyone know about what temperatures the pipes are? Anyone?

Ken

Hey Ken Wouldn't you want true duals?:D Wouldn't they have better flow?:eek:

Stephen

Everything I read here saids the 31/2" will flow about the same as (2) 21/2" pipes. I can change out the center section a lot quicker and at far less price than doing the duals. I figured since I had the exhaust down doing the tranny I might as well address that. Later when I do the engine I will change out the existing headers and down tubes. A little work now and a little work later:D I am a glutton for work I guess

Ken

What type headers do you have? Are you running mustang headers? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, but I could be mistaken. If they are Kooks, are they mid or long tube, and what will you be changing to?

Stephen

What type headers do you have? Are you running mustang headers? I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, but I could be mistaken. If they are Kooks, are they mid or long tube, and what will you be changing to?

Stephen

I will be looking for some Kooks mid length but you never know somethings always change:p

Ken

exhaust temps go down dramatically from the headers to the mufflers.

i've measured 400 from the header and then around 90-100 at the muffler.

unless you have your exhaust heat tape wrapped. I wrapped mine from heads right down to the center cat, (v8 tbird exhaust on a v6) and then the tailpipes would burn your fingers easy. A quick touch gives your fingers that nice yellow skin with that horrid burnt flesh smell:eek:

Yes, it varies a lot and it also has a lot to do with ambient temps, how long you've been driving, and how much load the engine is under. I have a stainless exhaust here that was on a car for quite a while and it has turned a light straw color most of the way back which means it probably reached a temp of about 500deg F more or less at one point in time or another.

Bigger pipes will definitely run cooler than smaller ones but the exact temp would be hard to pinpoint. If you are concerned about the gas tank, as long as the OE shield is in tact I would not be worried. If the OE shield is gone then I'd heat wrap the portion that goes past the tank.

Yes, it varies a lot and it also has a lot to do with ambient temps, how long you've been driving, and how much load the engine is under. I have a stainless exhaust here that was on a car for quite a while and it has turned a light straw color most of the way back which means it probably reached a temp of about 500deg F more or less at one point in time or another.

Bigger pipes will definitely run cooler than smaller ones but the exact temp would be hard to pinpoint. If you are concerned about the gas tank, as long as the OE shield is in tact I would not be worried. If the OE shield is gone then I'd heat wrap the portion that goes past the tank.

The reason I asked is I have in stock a clamp that I could use on the 31/2" center section. I was looking at a dynotech clamp but no one seems to have them in stock. The clamp I have is of the same design but uses a viton seal with a high of 400 degree capaicity. The clamp would be back by the rear end. So that is why I was inquiring about the temps. I am trying to make it easy to take things apart in the future as it seems I spend a lot of time doing just that:D

Ken

It might hold up. If it is a v-band clamp then I'm assuming it still uses steel flanges but has an o-ring or something? Any pictures?

It might hold up. If it is a v-band clamp then I'm assuming it still uses steel flanges but has an o-ring or something? Any pictures?

Here is a picture of the clamp itself. A groved nipple is welded on each end of the pipe and the clamp clamps into the groves. The pipe is held end to end with little or no gap as the clamp sucks it tight. It has an internal gasket for any bleed by. I didnt have the groved part to take a picture of.

ken

Attachments

• Clamp a.jpg
    Clamp a.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 55
Back