Stereo Ground Location

89_WhiteBirdy

Hey does anybody know where the stereo is grounded. Im guessing it is under the dash somewhere, but not exactly sure where under there(if it is undere there).
Thanks-Josh

Hey does anybody know where the stereo is grounded. Im guessing it is under the dash somewhere, but not exactly sure where under there(if it is undere there).
Thanks-Josh

I'm guessing it is the (shared) large ground lug that sprouts out of the main dash wiring trunk, right of the driver's knee, on the side of the center console (example: early models) - you have to pull the plastic trim panels and then the metal cover that goes left-to-right under the steering column. The speaker grounds are separate and looped into the head unit.

Close, but actually it's on the passenger side of the console. I think you can access it from dropping down the glove box but I can't remember exactly. It's just a bolt/screw into the dash frame. The stereo is grounded separate from the rest of the accessories to reduce interference noise from other components. It will be a thick red wire on the early years, not sure on the color for the later years without looking it up but probably black or black with green stripe. If you follow the harness that goes to the stereo you'll find the ground location within about 18" of the radio.

On the early models, it is a red wire and on later years it is a black wire with green stripe....

If you pull the plastic enclosure that is under the heater / AC controls (also where the factory CD players are installed), you will see a small green 7mm screw on the right hand side of the rear mounting bracket....

It will have 3 wires connected to it....

If you have small hands, using a ¼" drive ratchet and a 7mm socket will work....:)

If you have fat hands, it will make the job quite a bit longer.....:rolleyes:

>The stereo is grounded separate from the rest of the accessories to reduce interference noise from other components.

That makes sense - any idea what the grounds on the left are for, specifically?

Back