Solid motor mounts/ tranny mount

coolhand

Quick question. How much work is there for my mechanic to change out these mounts? I already have them.

Matt

a considerable amount, if you know what you are doing it wont take too long...for the engien mounts.

transmission mount is easy

Can someone that's done these before let me in on how exactly to change them. I currently have the powersteering bracket off, ic tubes out, and will be taking the ac bracket off tomorrow morning. I tried to start the driver side mount but I couldn't get it out. Is there a write-up preferebly with pictures floating around anywhere? I took the bolt out of the bracket but there is abolt holding it it to the cross member and I can't get it it loose. I'm probably doing it all wrong but I have no idea as to where to go with it now. please help someone!!!

I never tried to split the mount in the car, I always just did it while the motor was out. Passenger side you should be able to get the big nut off the top depending on how rusted the threads are, but I would try to get the whole thing out together it you can. Two bolts to the motor and one on the bottom piece to the k-member. Goes in through the front. Don't forget to support the engine, and it's ok to move it to the side for more room if you need to, just don't knock it off the jack.

Is there any way of doing this without pulling the motor? I'm not currently equiped to do so (time, space, equipment), so I'd rather not pull it. I didn't realize that these mounts were such a pain to begin with.

I'd suggest doing a search on motor mount replacement as there are many write ups on the procedures.

But the short answer is, if you have all those pieces out of the way, loosen the driver side plastic cowling and just raise the engine up with a floor jack (with a piece of wood under the oil pan) to get enough clearance to get the parts out/in.

ive done two sets of these (although not for a couple years)

you can do it with disconnecting nothing more than the steering rag joint (one bolt) and removing the front driver's side wheel, and doing it pretty much all from underneath the car

its tricky, and its a pain in the ~~~, but once you figure out just what you're trying to get at, its very doable. I had the most success running a series of socket/u-joint/extensions in through one of the openings in the driver's side wheel well, and i found a place i could snake my arm up to get a hand on the bolts to help the socket on

for re-installing i like to wrap a little bit of a paper towel around the head of bolts to get them to stick nicely in the socket and not worry about them falling out

the passenger side is pretty easy

Back