PDA

View Full Version : Need Head Gaskets Replaced

Super-chicken
03-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Looking for someone in the NH area that is looking for a side job or knows of a garage that has done h/g in a 92 sc. Thanks for your help. Mark

fastsc92
03-28-2009, 06:01 PM
interesting...I'm in Salem, NH as well....

I've done my fair share of work on these cars. If I were you, and you have the time, you should try to tackle it yourself. It's a good learning experience. Also, I may be around to help out. I do charge though....a frosty 12-pack is my flat rate.

Super-chicken
03-28-2009, 09:13 PM
This is my first sc and this motor looks like fun to work on. What flavor of frosty's do you like? I have basic hand tools, heated work space and pleanty of cold ones. I dont have a clue what tools are needed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

fastsc92
03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
You really don't need any super special tools. Off the top of my head you would need, a torque wrench, fuel line disconnects, power steering pulley puller and a few other odds and ends. Most of the stuff can be rented at autozone.

Your car wouldn't happen to be black, a 5 speed and you bought it from a kid in Kingston?

Where abouts in Salem are you located?

Super-chicken
03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Yup looks like you know the car. I live on N policy st. The car is in the driveway right now. Did you look at this car before?

fastsc92
03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Yea I looked at it a few months back. I thought it was going to be the mirror image of my car, and was exactly what I was looking for. The seller was claiming that it only had 90k on it. Turns out that it had the odometer replaced back in the day and it really has 149k on it. Because of this, it has an odometer fraud report on the car history. Not a big deal, but I wanted something clean. I was looking for a really clean paint job and body and that car had some extensive rust in the undercarrage. It's a good project car, but just wasn't for me.

When I saw it however, the car was running without any headgasket issues. I remember seeing it on craigslist a year ago when he was asking 3800 for it. :eek: When I saw it, he was looking for 2500 :eek:. I did see it on Cl a few weeks ago for 1K after the headgaskets went. Hope you got a good deal on it.

I would still consider tackling the job yourself. If you bring it to a shop, they could easily charge you in the $800 range, just because of the labor involved. If you did the work yourself, I would guess that it's going to cost about $125 max when you figure in gaskets, seals, new headbolts (old ones are non-reuseable), etc. It can prob. be tackled in a full day's time if you know what you're doing. If you don't have the time to do it, I have a good friend of mine who is a Ford tech, also in Salem, that would prob. be interested in doing it as a side job.

Super-chicken
03-29-2009, 10:49 AM
The kid was out of work and hard up for cash. I just wanted another tbird and i never had a sc. Do you have to machine the heads or just replace the gaskets? What does you friend from ford charge hourly? Salem ford wants $85/hr.

fastsc92
03-29-2009, 10:53 AM
you won't have to do any machining unless the heads are warped. I personally would get them resurfaced at a minimum and check the block for warpage.

Not sure what he would charge. He works at Salem Ford, but would most likely charge you $xxx.xx for the entire job, rather than an hourly rate. Let me try to get in touch with him and see if he's even interested.

Super-chicken
03-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the help. Did you end up getting a car?

ricardoa1
03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
If this car has been run with blown HG, after changing them it could prove that it will need engine bearings after. So its easier on the wallet and feelings if you do it youself and that ends up being the case. Posting pictures and questions will get you thru the Job.

fastsc92
03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
as ricardo said, you may find that the lower end needs bearings if it had extensive oil contamination.

First things first. Drain the oil and see how it looks. Take a look at the coolant and see how that looks too. If the oil looks like a milkshake...it's got coolant in the oil. If the coolant is brown, then its got oil in it.

Still looking for a car btw..... I also spoke to my friend about doing the side work, and its going to be very close to what a dealership would charge, prob. not worth it in your case.

Super-chicken
03-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Checked oil still looks like oil no coolant or water in it, Coolant was full and green when i picked up the car. Now coolant leaks out of exhaust very fast would this be a cracked head or a bad intake gasket?

ricardoa1
03-29-2009, 04:11 PM
You luck seem to be in your favor, sounds like its not that bad. Just change them with graphite gaskets and get the heads checked by a shop.

JimmyMan
04-01-2009, 08:21 PM
i had the same symptoms a couple years ago. i assumed it was he hg's also, turned out to be i lifted an intake gasket. before you remove the heads look over your intake manifold gaskets carefully. it could be that simple.

Super-chicken
06-21-2009, 10:07 AM
My 92 sc is at the garage getting headgaskets replaced. Shop found blowout on cyl 2 passanger side. Heads at machine shop for fluff and buff. Doing complete tune up while apart. Should have car home on wed for maden voyage. I cant wait any longer. NH plates in hand SPRCHKN.

JimmyMan
06-21-2009, 11:47 AM
glad to hear it. give us an update after your first ride. it usually feels the best after a couple months without driving. good luck

fastsc92
06-21-2009, 05:42 PM
who ended up doing the repairs?

Super-chicken
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Transmissions Etc in Plaistow,NH. Great place for tbird transmissions and all around repair.

Super-chicken
07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Picked up car tonight a garage after headgaskets were done. Car now had lower end knock like a avon lady. Drove car 10 miles and she went out with a bang. Big cloud of black smoke and stalled out and oil leaking everywere. Now I need a motor. This car now has more time on the road on the back of a flatbed than with me driving it.

fastsc92
07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
sorry to say, but the kid you bought it from, beat the living snot out of it.....that's actually an understatment. It was clear when I met him that he was a hack and who knows what he did to that engine over the years. Add that to the fact that the mileage is in the 150k range. These were the major reason why I didn't buy it at the time, I just didn't trust the owner, (plus the undercarrage is serverly rusted).

Chances are that there was coolant in the engine, it spun a bearing, then threw a rod. It's a bummer, but it's still fixable. Jank that motor(excelent learning experience....plus you got someone in your town that knows a thing or two about SC's to help), assess the damage and decide whether to rebuild or get a new long/shortblock. If the block is damaged, I have another block, crank, cam, oilpan, ect that I could sell if you choose to rebuild it.

Let us know what the verdict is and post some pics of the carnage.

Super-chicken
07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I spoke to the garage today, they said if I want to revive my bird that they would install a motor that i provide for free. Now is the question should i get a used motor, buy a rebuilt or build my self? Whats would you be looking to get for the parts? Thanks for all your help.

ratfink
07-23-2009, 09:57 PM
I have a bottom end if you need rods and or crank the block is no good though. It's been sitting with or no heads in a car. I'm sure rods and crank are fine.