A STTTOOOPID question (worse then stupid)

XxSlowpokexX

Manual transmisison guys...no reason to put in fricton modifier if there are are only brass synchros correct? Just wasnt sure if it also affects the coeficient of friction for plain bras as well

Can you use the same friction modifier that is put in the rear? And does it matter if its a Mopar brand? Don't flame me for that question. I have a buddy that works at a Mopar dealer and gave me 10 bottles for free.

i put royal purple syncromesh in mine. i dont know if it has some sort of friction modifier. should it be changed out ?

I just put the GM synchromesh with friction modifier in mine with 4 CF and 2 brass. I took it out for a short spin today. 3rd, 4th, and 5th shift as smooth as glass. 1st and 2nd are a little tough. I hope they get better when it breaks in.

I think I just put in GM synchromesh in the 5spd in my race car and called it a day. I think NAPA told me that the transmission did not need friction modifier.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

if you have the CF you definitely should use otherwise the gears may slow down to fats causing poor engagement aka crunch...I was just wondering with brass what the deal would be.

The only time I have ever heard a crunch sound is sometimes when I put it into reverse otherwise no problems.

Shane
Glynn Motorsports

I think I just put in GM synchromesh in the 5spd in my race car and called it a day. I think NAPA told me that the transmission did not need friction modifier.
As far as Napa is concerned, the m5r2 didn't require a friction modifier. However, if you have CF lined, compared to the OEM friction material, its supposed to loosen the grip slightly to allow a smoother shift. At least according to Dave D.

I have a set of CF synchros that are going into my track car. I plan to use the penzoil synchromesh + friction mod. However, I haven't seen much of a selection of fluids at azone or oreillys. Is NAPA the place?

On a related subject, has anyone tried the 3rd tooth removal idea? Im wondering what the downside is to doing that.

im sorry it was syncromax. not syncromesh.

i like the way it shifts now but i've never driven a 5sp with the gm stuff in it.

i get it from the shopette on base here at Shaw AFB. i wanna say it was around $15 for a 1 liter bottle. i think i needed 3 of them.

Can you use the same friction modifier that is put in the rear? And does it matter if its a Mopar brand? Don't flame me for that question. I have a buddy that works at a Mopar dealer and gave me 10 bottles for free.

What? No one that has replied knows the answer? Or did I not really ask one and its a figment of my imagination.

What? No one that has replied knows the answer? Or did I not really ask one and its a figment of my imagination.

I'm pretty sure my 94 Thunderbird/Cougar shop manual calls for the same friction modifier part # for the trac-lok rear end and the five speed trans.

never heard of friction modifier in a trans. i just put in ATF and go. i have to say i did have problems shifting but i think it was the clutch... my truck shifts fine with it though. i have heard of mobil1 5w-30 as well. oh, i used the newer merconV

never heard of friction modifier in a trans. i just put in ATF and go. i have to say i did have problems shifting but i think it was the clutch... my truck shifts fine with it though. i have heard of mobil1 5w-30 as well. oh, i used the newer merconV
Thats kinda the point of the discussion.. "we" can't get OEM blocker rings anymore, so the question becomes "What can you do so that your 5 speed car doesn't shift like-a-truck?" :rolleyes:

gotcha. didn't realize we couldnt get oem parts anymore! that sucks
OEM parts require friction modifier. Some kinds of friction modifier is not to be used with automatic transmission fluid. Make sure the kind you get is compatible with automatic transmission fluid.

The solid brass rings don't have as much friction as the fiber ones to begin with. So it would make sense that you would want more friction on a solid brass ring than with a fiber lined ring. So no, I wouldn't add friction modifier.

I agree with Micah. It seems to me that the whole purpose of the blocker ring is to grab and hold the gear so that the slider ring on the synchronizer can slide over it and lock the gear in place. If the friction modifier is allowing it to slip wouldn't that prevent the the blocker from holding the gear so the slider ring can engage? I would think using friction modifier would be counterproductive. Also if fluid is trapped between the blocker and the gear it wouldn't be able to hold it either. That's why there are grooves in the blockers mating surface no matter whether they are brass or fiber to channel off the fluid.

Back