PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy

Tazer999
09-20-2002, 11:31 PM
You any good with linux? I am downloading mandrake and am going to burn the 3 iso cd's, but was just wondering about installing it. Can I just use a blank harddriver to put it on, or will I need to partition it still also? Which program should I use to partition it.

Also, how do I make it so when I start the computer I have the option of booting into windows or linux

Scott-Atah
09-21-2002, 02:16 AM
never done this shiznit with linux....but partition magic always works well for partitioning hard drives...as well i know when installing win xp cause i was bored on this computer...it gave me the option to do a dual boot setup....which gave me the option of (when starting up) to use linux or windows (err in my case, win xp, win2k)

BlackAnSC
09-21-2002, 04:33 AM
Yeah install win2k after you put Linux on there and it will set up the dual boot for you...

I believe Linux also has the ability to do that, but I just go the win2k second route....

Tazer999
09-21-2002, 07:24 AM
Bleh, my parents want to keep 98se though, thats why I want to setup mandrake

BlackAnSC
09-21-2002, 01:58 PM
98se??? your parents are retarded!!!! :p

webmaster of WC
09-21-2002, 04:17 PM
It sounds like you got your answer. but for a cheaper way of partitioning i just us Maxblast plus found at maxtor.com

Mandrak is the easiest linux to learn, a good choice for you. Although i am not into the whole linux thing.

91 XR7
09-21-2002, 04:32 PM
Linux is cool.. What other OS can run a Computer on a 3.5" HD disk??

I've seen people build up from scrap computer parts a MP3 Player computer that just has a Dot matrix screen (displays all MP3 info and time elasped ) and a Swapable HD and a CD-rom drive, and sometimes with a remote control (Infrared) and it simply runs on a 3.5" disk.. windows ?? BAHA AS IF!!! :)

also heard Windows XP runs better through Linux Mandrake too imagine 98SE :)

webmaster of WC
09-21-2002, 06:10 PM
you do not run other OS "through" another OS. The hard drive is partitioned and eash OS is insatlled on a seperate partition. The you get a boot selection screen to pick which partition you wanna boot. Now XP is 1000X better then 98SE by far. Problem is XP does not support a lot of Old computer stuff like printers and scanners, that is the down side.

Anyways, since your parents run your life you are stuck with windows 98.

91 XR7
09-21-2002, 07:31 PM
This message was left blank in the name of `kindness' which i am slightly losing at this time and moment... Thank You <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><BR><BR><BR>