Jeremy

Tazer999

You any good with linux? I am downloading mandrake and am going to burn the 3 iso cd's, but was just wondering about installing it. Can I just use a blank harddriver to put it on, or will I need to partition it still also? Which program should I use to partition it.

Also, how do I make it so when I start the computer I have the option of booting into windows or linux

never done this shiznit with linux....but partition magic always works well for partitioning hard drives...as well i know when installing win xp cause i was bored on this computer...it gave me the option to do a dual boot setup....which gave me the option of (when starting up) to use linux or windows (err in my case, win xp, win2k)

Yeah install win2k after you put Linux on there and it will set up the dual boot for you...

I believe Linux also has the ability to do that, but I just go the win2k second route....

It sounds like you got your answer. but for a cheaper way of partitioning i just us Maxblast plus found at maxtor.com

Mandrak is the easiest linux to learn, a good choice for you. Although i am not into the whole linux thing.

Linux is cool.. What other OS can run a Computer on a 3.5" HD disk??

I've seen people build up from scrap computer parts a MP3 Player computer that just has a Dot matrix screen (displays all MP3 info and time elasped ) and a Swapable HD and a CD-rom drive, and sometimes with a remote control (Infrared) and it simply runs on a 3.5" disk.. windows ?? BAHA AS IF!!! :)

also heard Windows XP runs better through Linux Mandrake too imagine 98SE :)

you do not run other OS "through" another OS. The hard drive is partitioned and eash OS is insatlled on a seperate partition. The you get a boot selection screen to pick which partition you wanna boot. Now XP is 1000X better then 98SE by far. Problem is XP does not support a lot of Old computer stuff like printers and scanners, that is the down side.

Anyways, since your parents run your life you are stuck with windows 98.

This message was left blank in the name of `kindness' which i am slightly losing at this time and moment... Thank You <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><BR><BR><BR>

Last edited:
Back