broken dip stick.

QuickMustang

My T-bird has now broken it's second dipstick inside the engine. The first time I thought it could be a fluke or a bad dip stick or something, but then it happened at the exact same spot on a second dipstick. I never hear any strange noises from my engine, but I'm guessing that somehow the crank or rods managed to hit the dipstick. Has anyone else had this happen before?

Also Is it dangerous to leave the broken end of the dipstick in the oil pan? I now have two of them in there, but everything still seems fine. I really don't feel like lifting the engine up again to get the oil pan off.

Thirdly, and I know this part should go in the parts wanted section, but does anyone have a dipstick for sale? PM with prices shipped to 44691 Wooster, OH. Thanks.

My T-bird has now broken it's second dipstick inside the engine. The first time I thought it could be a fluke or a bad dip stick or something, but then it happened at the exact same spot on a second dipstick. I never hear any strange noises from my engine, but I'm guessing that somehow the crank or rods managed to hit the dipstick. Has anyone else had this happen before?

QUOTE]

I have two broken off dipsticks in my '90 SC. Both broke in the same spot. Haven't had any problems with the pieces still in there and haven't tried to fish them out through the drain plug.

Apparently my dipstick tube and/or tube mounting bracket were bent while they were off during an engine rebuild causing the dipstick to rub against something in the crankcase. I purchased a used dipstick tube from another SCCOA member and that solved the problem.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

My dipstick broke off right at the full mark a while ago due to my tube being all jacked up.
My magnetic drain plug had caught it when I changed the oil.

My dipstick broke off right at the full mark a while ago due to my tube being all jacked up.
My magnetic drain plug had caught it when I changed the oil.

That's a good idea...I'm going to pick up a magnetic drain plug next time I change my oil. I already had someone send me a PM to sell me a dip stick too! Thanks!

I didn't have the problem of breaking it off, but had the damnedest ticking sound to find after a rebuild only to find the nice little wear mark, just waiting to grind all the way through the stick.

I tried several ways to bend it but just not confident it wasn't hitting still.

I leave it out all the time now, hangs on the wall in the garage. I put a vacuum cap over the hole and check my oil often enough in the garage so it's not needed on the road.

Back