5-speed questions

STLSC95

Driveline Upgrade: Ladies and Gentlemen, I purchased a 95 SC 5-speed recently and it needs a new/rebuilt transmission. I have read previous forum discussions about the removal and installation from Jimmy 2Coupes, Kurt K, and 92sclikenew. I am still a bit confused on the process and have a few questions:

1. Would it be more convenient to replace the rear diff with a 3.27 tracloc (code Y) from a junkyard while removing my transmission?
2. Are there technical documents available through SCCOA for doing this work?
3. How much labor is required to remove the transmission, rear-end and replace clutch?
4. I am looking for a factory feel that can handle a few mods…what stage / brand clutch should I install?
5. What special tools should I rent or buy…
6. Any other suggestions / recommendations on rebuilders . products. Ect

I live in St. Louis Missouri and do have a big garage. I plan on doing the work in early to mid-May. Thank you for any advice!

NOTE: I have never removed a transmission before, but will have a friend with me that has removed several in is day. I do not plan on rebuilding the transmission myself, I hope to find a reputable shop to do the work in St. Louis.

Coming from a family man, figure a day to get it out and a day to get it in. I've read where someone replace a clutch in an afternoon.

I just did the 5 speed swap in mine but went a little overboard with it.
I changed the rear suspension out mine was a tad bent up but with two people that know the car it went fast. had the whole swap done in 8 hrs with taking breaks and waitng on my tools to find my house again. Dont you just hate when that happens. good luck with it

1. Would it be more convenient to replace the rear diff with a 3.27 tracloc (code Y) from a junkyard while removing my transmission?
Yes it would, just based on the fact that you need to remove the driveshaft to get the trans out. Plus your car will be up and you'll already be dirty.:D

Back