PDA

View Full Version : AOD Problems - Does this sound like a Linkage issue to you?

Tim Groth
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
So I'm going next Friday to pick up an SC I found locally. Seller says that the car will not go into Reverse of Neutral, so because of this he is selling it rather cheap (a Nickleman like deal here :p:D;))

I guess the more I think about this I have never had an AOD not want to go into neutral...most of my AOD's when they go it involves Losing the OD band, then 3rd, 2nd, and 1st/reverse band.

Now on the shifter, I know that if the linkage is unhooked the shifter will slide down and just grab OD (first one it clicks into, even tho not really in gear)...you think this could be what they are trying to explain here?

I go look at it next Friday...any suggestions what to look for when I go would be helpful.

Thanks!

-Tim

BECERRASC
04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
your right it's the linkge that is mess up i bet that the problem ;)

old_coot
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
the linkage on the transmission is really a cable so if the cable isn't broken then the mount has to have come loose--that is of course unless there is a clutch pack that is burned up and welded together in which it will never release so it appears there is no neutral or reverse.............Dan

Tim Groth
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
the linkage on the transmission is really a cable so if the cable isn't broken then the mount has to have come loose--that is of course unless there is a clutch pack that is burned up and welded together in which it will never release so it appears there is no neutral or reverse.............Dan

Interesting to know this...learn something new everyday. Thanks for the information.

-Tim

frdlvr30
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
More likely that the clutches are welded to the direct drum causing them to be engaged in all gear positions. Hard to say without you seeing the vehicle. If it is as cheap as you say, Im sure you could find a tranny/rebuild for it.

Eduardo
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
More likely that the clutches are welded to the direct drum causing them to be engaged in all gear positions. Hard to say without you seeing the vehicle. If it is as cheap as you say, Im sure you could find a tranny/rebuild for it.

I'm with this guy, I've got a 91 mark VII in the driveway that has drive in every gear position.

Tim Groth
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Well picked the car up last Friday...the trans is simply shot...of coarse the seller made it sound better than it was.

When I arrived the car would not budge from Park...after dragging the ~~~ of the car out of the parking spot it was in the transmission freed it's self. I now have drive but nothing else is there and it slips horribly.

Transmission swap is on my list.

-Tim

frdlvr30
04-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Well picked the car up last Friday...the trans is simply shot...of coarse the seller made it sound better than it was.

When I arrived the car would not budge from Park...after dragging the ~~~ of the car out of the parking spot it was in the transmission freed it's self. I now have drive but nothing else is there and it slips horribly.

Transmission swap is on my list.

-Tim

Figured that much. So, how does it look in person. You must have been satisfied otherwise, no?

Tim Groth
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Figured that much. So, how does it look in person. You must have been satisfied otherwise, no?

Overall I did well and yeah it's home with me. Car runs smooth as a top about as smooth as I've heard an SC run honestly. Car's a 93, Silver w/ Black leather interior and sunroof. Paints faded on roof and hood...passenger side door is dented on the bottom where the GFX piece is at. All power options work fine and have Premium sound that works good too.

I picked it up, Car only needs a transmission to be nice. Sunroof seal is messed up so it opens and closes very hard (think if it were glued and reseatted it would be fine). My parts car has needed pieces to repair if otherwise. Leather is very nice tops are split on the back and normal bolster wear on drivers side.

I plan to fix the mentioned mechanical and cosmetic issues and sell it. Would make a great car for someone...I already have 4 other cars so I didn't purchase it to keep. Just saving it from the junk yard. ;):D

-Tim