Exhaust Resonator

91SCNORCAL

Whats the purpuse of this can it be eliminated and say use a y instead for better flow ? And if not and I install a flowmaster one will the car need to be tuned or will it run fine?

V-6

Careful what you change on the exhaust system - you can end up with a ratty sound if you don't plan ahead.

Tuning....what mods are you running?

It's best to replace the resonator with a high flow muffler, car will run better and no need for a tune. When replacing the resonator cut out the exhaust connection right behind it, that connection restricts the exhaust down to 1 3/4 or something like that.

If you remove this muffler and y-pipe it you will get a horrible drone in the interior of the car and it will sound like a fart can.

There is no downsides to replacing the resonator with a good flowing muffler.

Just the basics air filter to start now just wanted a more flowing exhaust but dont want to make it sound crappy either now the car has two mufflers at the rear right? So when u say replace the resonator with a free flow mufflers ? Yes it's the 3.8 SC

The resonators main goal in life is to make the factory crappy 3.8 exhaust tone quiet. I had several cheap mods exhaust wise done over the years. If you still have your factory cats and remove the resonator you maybe ok with the noise output..If not just add a high flow cheap turbo muffler and youll be ok

hm

well, I've heard people say leave the stock exhaust cause it isn't that bad, but the thing is that it could be a lot better and if you want a little sound, then change it. I've tried a lot of different set-ups($!), and for now if I were you I would leave the stock cats and replace the resonator with a nice muffler (i like magnaflow myself, but turbo mufflers are a quieter sound) like the other guy in the post said, but you have a choice to go dual in/single out muffler in place of resonator and run the 3" pipe through the gas tank and out with no mufflers, 1 muffler, or 2, or go with a dual in/dual out muffler and find a good exhaust shop to run you true dual piping to no mufflers or 2 mufflers deppending on loudness and restrictiveness. I would preffer stock cats into dual in/out magnaflow to true dual out the back in whatever pipe location exit and no extra mufflers...just my thoughts ;)

so what I get out of all of this is put a muffler where the resonator is and eliminate the mufflers in the back?

I'd leave the mufflers in the back as well. One thing that has to be accepted here, you will never ever get a v6 to sound like a v8.

My attitude is to keep the exhaust nice-n-quiet so you don't sound like a ricer, and let the blower do the talking :D.

On a stock car, replace the resonator as mentioned and you'll be fine.

Fraser

i argee with fraser ^^

replace the resonator (and if you want have new downtubes made with some hi flow cats in there, if you want). and leave from the resonator back alone. as long as the baffles in the stock mufflers are good.

im getting a new exhaust teusday, if you'd like the magnaflow dual 2.5"in/single 3" out resonator, let me know. i'll get rid of it cheap.

I had a true dual 2.5" built and the shop installed an X pipe at first. On the trip home it wasn't too loud but the harmonic made my ears ring pulling on long grades. I had them install a resonator and, though it still hits that harmonic, it's bearable. Not having time to experiment, I'm sure someone could test the location of an X pipe to see where it could be best located. Being a sound problem there's likely a best location for the x to happen to achieve optimum noise cancellation.

on the contrary

my quest was to make my V6 supercharged engine sound and perform like a V8 and i got pretty damn close...people are always asking me what I have cause they have no idea lol its awesome...mid-lenght headers to 2 high flow cats to the dual in/out muffler in place of the resonator with turn downs right after and presto! oh yea and a .570 lift cam with a 110 LS pushing approximately 400hp helps too ;)...but with a basically stock engine I would agree to have teh exhaust at least full to the rear of the car, and if you want it pretty quiet add the rear mufflers...that's all I'm saying.

oh, does anyone know how to post sound clips? cause I can post one...

I don't agree with getting a V-6 to sound like a V-8! Maybe not loud Flowmaster sound but everyone thinks I got a V-8 in mine.

Old SCP Headers into 2 1/2 downtubes with Lightning CATs into a 3 in muffler and 3 in out. Its Cut off right over the rear axle. No rear mufflers.

I believe its the long Lightning CATs and 3 in tubing that gives it that sound.

Unfortunately its the 90 style gas tank. I have been reluctant to change to a 93 gas tank and get a much straighter exhaust because I LOVE THE SOUND. Mind you I have an 1988 Mustang with Flowmaster and X-pipe and a 2007 with FRPP Stingers. The SC sounds better than the 2007 and no where as loud as the 88.:eek: In fact I think I will go in the garage and start it up now. :D

I love my bird!

On my old cougar, I replaced the resonator with a Y pipe, and it barely changed the sound at all if I remember right, or if it did it was just barely louder and didn't sound bad at all. That was with stock cats and mufflers. The car I have now is going to sound absolutely horrible until I address the exhaust system a little more. It's got Mustang manifolds, no cats, magnaflow resonator, and no mufflers. So I need to find which mufflers sound the best and throw them on there.

Back