Redoing the old exhaust

kenewagner

Trannys in and the exhaust is going back together. I did the old exhaust, I think 6 years ago and at the time I had never done an exhaust before on a car. The old 3" center section was bent at a local muffler shop and as you can see from the pictures they crimped the heck out of it. My attempt at the split from 3 to 2" was at best poor. I have been thinking all this time that the old mufflers were 21/2" but turns out they are just 2" and not high performance at that. Might be a part of my problem with HP:rolleyes: The new exhaust is 21/2" down tubes (already had them in place) a dual 21/2" in and single 31/2" out resonator. The center section is 31/2", which is just tacked together in most places, and a T section joining the 2 Flowmaster mufflers together. The mufflers are 31/2" inlet and 21/2" out lets to the chrome tip which will remain. The T section has a wedge welded in it to split the flow of exhaust to the mufflers. All the bends and joints will be tig welded when I have everything fitted up. There will be a joint just before the T but I havent put it in yet. It should not have any problems flowing exhaust when done and the headers will be replaced once the new engine is in place down the road. Some might not like the exhaust or how I did it but I think it will work for me. My only real concern is that I dont have a miserable drone when done, In which case I might just shoot myself:p

Ken

Attachments

• New Exhaust center section.jpg
    New Exhaust center section.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 171
  • New exhaust comparrision.jpg
    New exhaust comparrision.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 191
  • New Exhaust muffler comparission.jpg
    New Exhaust muffler comparission.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 175
  • New Exhaust Muffler T.jpg
    New Exhaust Muffler T.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 186
Looks good, Ken. That old exhaust is just silly. You're heading in the right direction, my friend.

I have heard that the Flowmasters don't sound the greatest, but the resonator should make it sound all right.

Looks good Ken! As long as you have a decent resonator in the middle, you should be fine as far as drone. I have flowmaster mufflers on my cougar, and really like it. Your should sound even better with the larger pipe and cam!

Thomas

My only real concern is that I dont have a miserable drone when done, In which case I might just shoot myself:p

Ken

I hope the exhaust turns out as good as it looks since I'd hate for you to off yourself. However, if you do follow that path could you do us a favor and will your car, spare parts and tools to me or one of the other members on the board? :D :p

Seriously, looks nice, but why the 180* bit for the mufflers? Why not put them in the factory location or use a single dual in / out in the middle of the car? I was thinking of using one of these if it will fit and following the factory route beyond it. I want to say someone on the board is using that or a similar model and I haven't heard their car. Sadly, I have an engine swap and mods to accomplish before that happens.

She will be much happier w/ this setup! Your last setup was like a elephant trying to poop thru a key hole!:eek:

Stephen

Seriously, looks nice, but why the 180* bit for the mufflers? Why not put them in the factory location or use a single dual in / out in the middle of the car?

I dont even remember what a stock set up looks like anymore. The T has a wedge welded in to direct flow of gasses to each muffler. I have custom tips that exit out of the rear so I need to set it up to work with them. I am concerned with the sound but time will tell:eek:

Ken

I had a flowmaster as a resonator with two dynomax mufflers and it sounded great. Unsure where this will bring you sound wise.

I agree with the rear t section though. even though you have a diverter in there the exhaust is making a few huge unneeded bends. Regardless though its 100% better then what was there

Been there, on the way back right now...

I dont even remember what a stock set up looks like anymore.
Ken

Hahaha, I have cars I have modified that heavily. You see one in a parking lot and think "Gee that's weird, I wonder why they did... oh, never mind - I forgot, MINE is the one that is modified. Duh!" :eek: :cool:

Back