BHJ Install Question

Thomas A

I am in the process of installing a BHJ balancer on my Cougar, and just had a quick question. I have it installed, and pulled all the way on the crank, to where it is flush with the inset of balancer, and the timing pointer has just enough clearance, as well as the pickup ring in the crank sensor. It seems that it is installed as far as it should go.

The problem I am having is that I can't torque the bolt down to spec, as it continues to pull the balancer on, rather than tightening the bolt further. Is it a huge issue if the bolt isn't torqued to spec? I was trying for 115 ft/lbs. :confused:

Thomas

Get the bolt to torque. You must not have had it down all the way. I would torque it down, then check the clearance with the sensor again, and adjust as necessary.

Take the bolt out and make sure you aren't twisting the bolt or pulling out threads. You should be using a longer (new) bolt to ensure proper torque and thread integrity.

I went back out and tried it some more. I have the bolt tight now, but it is extremely close to the timing marker. I'd guess I have about .005" clearance, but everything does seem to clear alright. I guess it will be fine.

Thomas

Last edited:
Back