Mpx

90coug

So I snagged up one of these fancy MPX cases during Bills sale. I didn't want to drop that much cash but it was always one of those things I wanted to do, now was the time I figured.

Got it assembled yesterday morning with a 10% pulley and GTP rotors. Took it out for a spin and all I can say is, sweet! I might just leave the automatic in the car and grenade it before putting my 5-speed in. Man it's nice to hear second gear chirp and feel that fish tail. :D

PB070011.jpg

Got it assembled yesterday morning with a 10% pulley and GTP rotors. Took it out for a spin and all I can say is, sweet! I might just leave the automatic in the car and grenade it before putting my 5-speed in. Man it's nice to hear second gear chirp and feel that fish tail. :D

PB070011.jpg

It is designed to run a lot more overdrive to get the goodie out of it. Most are running 20 to 25% overdrive which is where its sweet spot is for making big boost. 10% wont get you much more than a ported M90. Of course you have to cool all that heat with a better IC. So all I am saying is you are leaving HP on the table with only 10% overdrive

Ken

It is designed to run a lot more overdrive to get the goodie out of it. Most are running 20 to 25% overdrive which is where its sweet spot is for making big boost. 10% wont get you much more than a ported M90. Of course you have to cool all that heat with a better IC. So all I am saying is you are leaving HP on the table with only 10% overdrive

Ken

I'm sure your right however it feels so much better than stock right now! I'm verrry happy with the results. Later down the line after I save some more $$ I plan on jumping in and making more power. So what are you saying, the jackshaft and underdrive pullies? Do they make a smaller SC pulley?

you'll want to up to a 10 rib setup from mp... actually, kevin litiem is selling off his crank and js pullies... might want to hit him up. :)

you'll want to up to a 10 rib setup from mp... actually, kevin litiem is selling off his crank and js pullies... might want to hit him up. :)

Oh man I would If I could right now. Soon, very soon...

Next goal is to tackle an exhaust leak. Looks like the bolt in the manifold is stripped and a PITA to get out.

Last edited:
It's been proven that spinning the MPX 25% od will cause the coating on the GTP rotors to sling off and the coating has to go somewhere, probably clogging up your intercooler.

run a 5% blower pully a 5% jacksft pulley and a 10% crank pulley with no slip.

remember more boost more fuel needed

If the motor is stock or close to it then 10% is probably fine. Running more boost will make a lot more heat and put a lot more risk into your combination. You don't mention any tuning so caution is your friend.

run a 5% blower pully a 5% jacksft pulley and a 10% crank pulley with no slip.

remember more boost more fuel needed

Is that the sweet spot others talk about, using the 5% pulley\5% js pulley and a 10 crank!? What lb injectors would you suggest for that setup?

It's been proven that spinning the MPX 25% od will cause the coating on the GTP rotors to sling off and the coating has to go somewhere, probably clogging up your intercooler.

Well that's a serious bummer, I've read a bit about the flaking. Hmm, I'll have to test it out with the OE cooler before I move onto anything nicer.

If the motor is stock or close to it then 10% is probably fine. Running more boost will make a lot more heat and put a lot more risk into your combination. You don't mention any tuning so caution is your friend.

Hey Dave, no tuning yet but your on the list ;) Stock motor, only thing I didn't list was a raised top. Right, I only drove it around the block and it was a chilly day, caution is noted. :)

Running 25% on a stock motor would be a recipe for disaster. Ask Pro Street Rich what happens when you do that.

Well that's a serious bummer, I've read a bit about the flaking. Hmm, I'll have to test it out with the OE cooler before I move onto anything nicer.

When I bought my MPX awhile back I also bought a set of GTP rotors and installed them. It was a few months later before my engine was done and during that time this fact came to light. I removed and sold them before ever installing the sc on the motor and then installed non coated rotors.

When I bought my MPX awhile back I also bought a set of GTP rotors and installed them. It was a few months later before my engine was done and during that time this fact came to light. I removed and sold them before ever installing the sc on the motor and then installed non coated rotors.

Nutz, I'll consider that if I ever get into that range. Sounds like I need a built motor for serious power. 92bird has a 95 engine he's selling to me later in the month, that'll be the bad boy. Included in the purchase is a set of heads and a custom cam, lot's of fun in the garage this summer!

Is that the sweet spot others talk about, using the 5% pulley\5% js pulley and a 10 crank!? What lb injectors would you suggest for that setup?

I would decide now where you want to be HP wise in the future. If you increase overdrive it will require more fuel, it will require a free intake system, (TB, MAF filter) It will require a better exhaust, a better IC so the computer doesnt pull a ton of timing on the top end and most of all a tune to make it work or it will run worse than stock. I went from stock injectors to 42 pounders than increase my goal and now have 60pounders. So decide where you want to be HP wise and talk to Dave since hes going to be the tuner and take his advise as to what you need to acheive your goals. By the way dont waste your money on a raised top. It is a waste of good money untill you reach a much higher HP level. Spend the money where it will do some good like the exhaust. My 2 cents

Ken

I would decide now where you want to be HP wise in the future. If you increase overdrive it will require more fuel, it will require a free intake system, (TB, MAF filter) It will require a better exhaust, a better IC so the computer doesnt pull a ton of timing on the top end and most of all a tune to make it work or it will run worse than stock. I went from stock injectors to 42 pounders than increase my goal and now have 60pounders. So decide where you want to be HP wise and talk to Dave since hes going to be the tuner and take his advise as to what you need to acheive your goals. By the way dont waste your money on a raised top. It is a waste of good money untill you reach a much higher HP level. Spend the money where it will do some good like the exhaust. My 2 cents

Ken

Right on Ken thanks for the info. The raised top came with the car during purchase. The exhaust was modified before purchase, however I'm curious because the back end of the exhaust is redone but the cats are still right up there by the manifolds and he said they were hollowed out? I'm not sure about that so I might need to take a deeper look. What's your goal? I would like to be right up around 380-400HP, that's all I need. Well I say that now but I'm trying to be realistic

Right on Ken thanks for the info. The raised top came with the car during purchase. The exhaust was modified before purchase, however I'm curious because the back end of the exhaust is redone but the cats are still right up there by the manifolds and he said they were hollowed out? I'm not sure about that so I might need to take a deeper look. What's your goal? I would like to be right up around 380-400HP, that's all I need. Well I say that now but I'm trying to be realistic

You only have 180-200 hp to go to achieve your objective!

Ported manifolds will flow what you need to acheive your goals. The stock cats, even hollowed out are real poor. If I remember correctly one turns 90 degrees and the resonator necks down to 13/4" very poor. My goal is 400 rwhp, I have a few better pieces of hardware and a little further along than you as well, but still not there. You can get 340 like dave said fairly realisticly. I would listen to him as he has the most experence wringing out HP out of these cars.

Ken

Back