Front mount intercooler?

275hptbirdsc

I was wondering if a front mount intercooler is possible on a 1990 sc? If so what brand and dimensions should I look for?

And have you guys noticed any thing different in performance? Also as far as the length of the project is this a day project or a weekend kind of thing?

And have you guys noticed any thing different in performance? Also as far as the length of the project is this a day project or a weekend kind of thing?

If you buy the MP fmic then you can install it in a couple of hours, a custom fmic takes much more time and involves fitting/mounting the i/c, cutting/fitting/welding i/c tubes so it takes MUCH longer to accomplish but as mentioned for $1400 you can have a direct bolt-on or with some time and skills you can fab up your own for under $500. I've fabbed up 2 different styles of fmic's on 2 of my birds for a total cost of about $900.

Last edited:
dave i havent been to a dyno or the track yet. hopefully in the next month or 2.

but i can do several wot runs at about 15-16psi and them pop the hood, grab the lower pipe and its cool to the touch.

i ported the crap out of the 94 blower thats on there and its at 10% OD. im sure that helps with outlet temps.

im planning on getting a temp gauge like Ricardo did to check my IAT.

i'll make a thread when its time for me to dyno and track test it, but i think it works very well.

So a ported 94 blower with a 10% only gets 15-16 pounds? Seems to me like you should be running more than that.

Jerry

So a ported 94 blower with a 10% only gets 15-16 pounds? Seems to me like you should be running more than that.

Jerry

well thats a guess-timate cuz it pegs the stock gauge and im sure it will push a lil more.

thinking of putting my autometer gauge in to see what it really is.

i think its about right cuz stock they push 11-12 and porting causes a loss in total psi and then add 10% od.

well thats a guess-timate cuz it pegs the stock gauge and im sure it will push a lil more.

thinking of putting my autometer gauge in to see what it really is.

i think its about right cuz stock they push 11-12 and porting causes a loss in total psi and then add 10% od.

Ok, I didnt know porting causes a loss on psi, what does it help then? Air flow?

Jerry

mainly it reduces outlet temps, quiet well actually. and it also reduces boost a little bit. which i made up for with more OD :D

I cant remember the OAT when I first dynoed mine with the FMIC, but it was summer time so im assuming near 80 inside the shop, We did 3 or so pulls 2 being full to 5k+ I remember asking Dave and it was somewhere around 97degrees if I remember correctly. A fan was used and there was atleast 5min between pulls.

Corey

Ok, I didnt know porting causes a loss on psi, what does it help then? Air flow?

Jerry

You need to remember that boost is an actual measure of back pressure, not the amount of air going into the motor.

An example would be taking a ported '94 blower OD'd at 15% that is registering 20 psi into a motor with stock heads, stock cam, and stock exhaust. Now take that same blower on a motor with fully ported heads, big cam and a big arse exhaust and it'll only register 13psi, and make a crap load more power because more air is actually getting into the motor to be used. This is what you want to see happen.

The guys that are pushing 25psi.... if they could use the same setup but only see 15psi would make way more power because there is more air freely flowing through the motor, but alas, we don't have the head options that will allow for that :(.

Fraser

idealy i want to be at about 14psi, 15 at most. i just had my exhaust done, ....again, and im hoping it will put me back in that range.

more boost isnt good in most cases. more boost=more heat

You need to remember that boost is an actual measure of back pressure, not the amount of air going into the motor.

An example would be taking a ported '94 blower OD'd at 15% that is registering 20 psi into a motor with stock heads, stock cam, and stock exhaust. Now take that same blower on a motor with fully ported heads, big cam and a big arse exhaust and it'll only register 13psi, and make a crap load more power because more air is actually getting into the motor to be used. This is what you want to see happen.

The guys that are pushing 25psi.... if they could use the same setup but only see 15psi would make way more power because there is more air freely flowing through the motor, but alas, we don't have the head options that will allow for that :(.

Fraser

Great explaination..

Thanks,
Jerry

Back