I'm gonna need tires. Hoping to get some reviews. :)

Pablo94SC

Hoping to get some reviews from you guys on what tires you're running and how you like them. Things like cornering grip, hydroplane resistance, straight line traction, tracking (does it like to follow every little wrinkle in the road), feedback, wear... you know, the full skinny. I think this will be invaluable for the club as it's getting harder and harder to find good high performance, stock size tires.

Paul

Hoping to get some reviews from you guys on what tires you're running and how you like them. Things like cornering grip, hydroplane resistance, straight line traction, tracking (does it like to follow every little wrinkle in the road), feedback, wear... you know, the full skinny. I think this will be invaluable for the club as it's getting harder and harder to find good high performance, stock size tires.

Paul

In the catigory of Ultra High Performance Summer tires, I like the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval. I had a set on my 90 and there's a set on the 95. Never had a single issue with them.

I've got Nitto nt555's on my white sc. 255/45R17
I put Firestone Firehawk wide ovals on my old Black SC. 245/50R16
For an all season tires, I put Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960 A/S on my GS. 245/50R16

I've ran mid to low 14's in the Black SC and GS and mid 13's on the white SC.

I would recommend any of these tires. But my favorite is the Firestone.

I personally like the Toyos. I had them on my last Mustang GT (RIP) and now a set on my '92 SC.

Along with the feedback from members of the SCCoA, have you tried http://www.tirerack.com?

The reveiws section on the tires may be helpful especially if reviewer vehicle is remotely comparable to your car.

Just a thought...

I just can't afford $$ to replace the entire set of tires every 2 years. :rolleyes:
I have come to prefer an "H" rated all season tire with at least a 50,000 UTG rating for my DD. I currently have goodyear eagle GTHRs which I like. But when this set is finished, I may give the Firestone firehawk a try. Like the GY Eagles, there are a number of different Firehawk tires.

Last edited:
when i bought my 90 5sp it was equipped with the mchelin pilot sport a/s stock size 225/60zr16, they worked great for me with plenty of grip! I could take a curvy road rated at 35mph easily at 75 with no sliding or squeling, and i had complete control they gripped so nicely i was being bushed against the bolsters pretty hard! They are a little pricey for me anyways at 140 a tire thru tirerack but i liked them alot!!

I've been looking at the Firehawk Wide Ovals. Seems like the replacement for the Bridgestone RE730 and RE750s I've been running.

The Michelin Pilot Sport is something I haven't looked at yet. I'll have to read the reviews on Tirerack about them and see what they think. What kind of mileage do you get out of a set of them?

That is a good link

I have 245/40/18 kuhmo ecsta 712's
don't remember what i paid
The ride feel isn't bad, i have less than 5k on them
traction sucks though i guess at my power level they break loose pretty easily with my foot down.
wet traction is pretty good
don't drive the car in the snow

I have the Kelly Fierce EVO-Z tires on my 93. They work pretty good in the dry and the wet. I got them with the wheels from brad over at the http://www.thecustomwheelshop.com/. This will be the last season for them I think. I asked for what he recommended and I think he does a good job.

They work well enough that I achieved a 27th place of 69 cars at the QA1 Autocross during the Car Craft Summer Nationals. The first time I ever drove the car around cones.

One thing to keep in mind... if you can break the rear tires lose in the dry at just about any speed, the wet is only gonna be worse, regardless of what tire you have.

Last edited:
On my black '94 I run Michelin Sport Pilots on all 4 corners, 265/40/18's in the front and 275/40/18's in the rear. Traction is good and real good in the corners.

what size are you wanting to run Paul?? Im pretty sure you are still on stock wheels??

Here are just a few that I like personally in a 225-60-16. The Nokian i3,H,V & Z G2 are great options. This is a true blue chip tire imo.

Nokian Z G2
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11948&group=1.02&name=Nokian%20Z%20G2

In a 245-50-16, which is a size Ive ran before. I like the Kelly EVO-Z. It has a Treadwear of 420AA A and would last if used somewhat conservatively.

ciao

Brad

Back