Harmonic balancer bit the dust today

quicktsi

I was planning to check it tomorrow, but instead will be replacing it. Time to start reading up. It looks like the one in the picture below. I got the car home radiator fan out and then pulled the balancer out.

bad-crank.jpg

i blew mine on my 89' the day before yesterday, only a matter of time with these.... no damage at all this time, not even the crank sensor... was at low rpm when it failed...

I was going home on the turnpike at about 70mph and was gently speeding up to pass a car when it let go. I am considering the BHJ, but do not want the car to be down for a week waiting on parts.

Here are the pictures. I am working on getting the BHJ ordered from Spinning Wheels-SC. I picked up the front seal while at the Ford dealership. I am going to get the front case area cleaned up and the seal replaced today. So far everything has come out pretty easily.

Picture1125.jpg

Picture1124.jpg

Picture1123.jpg

To get the balancer out we pulled the upper radiator hose loose to get the fan out and some spilled out.

Looks just like mine.....

Harmonic_Balancer_003.JPG

Harmonic_Balancer_005.JPG

Take pics of the BHJ when you get it. If forgot to and now I can't see it. :D

I got the BHJ today but will get it installed this weekend. What have others done to keep it from rusting? Have some shot it with a clear coat?

I got the BHJ today but will get it installed this weekend. What have others done to keep it from rusting? Have some shot it with a clear coat?

I bought a spray can of clear and shot mine. Still looks like it did when I bought it

Ken

Sorry to sound like a noob but what is the harmonic balancer and how will I know if mine fails ( which t sounds like it does alot)?

I got some work done tonight. It should be pretty easy to finish it up tomorrow. My BHJ appears to have the 26 ATC mark on it. See the pictures below.

SHOWING THE MEASUREMENT FROM 0 TO 26ATC
Picture1131.jpg

STOCK MARKS VS BHJ
Picture1132.jpg

BHJ MARKED
Picture1134.jpg

TAPED OFF TO CLEAR COAT
Picture1135.jpg

SHOWING HOW MUCH WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE BOLTS
Picture1136.jpg

ALL BOLTS TAPED READY TO CUT
Picture1137.jpg

WEIGHED THEM TO MAKE SURE ALL EQUAL
Picture1138.jpg

MARKED PULLEY TIMING MARK WITH WHITE TOUCH UP PAINT
Picture1139.jpg

MARKED TIMING MARK WITH WHITE TOUCH UP PAINT
Picture1140.jpg

JD,

Nice job...good to see that BHJ is now putting the 26 degree mark on the balancer. Suggest you ditch the plastic cover...all it does is get in your way.

David

Everything is back together and running. I got lucky and it did not take out the crank position sensor.

The only real damage was when the harmonic balancer broke off it put a, pinhole in one of the transmission cooler lines. I did not catch it until I started it up and it started leaking. I had to replace the line. Replacing the line created a challenge to find the right size adapter, so it would seat properly. The factory fitting was to deep for the new line.

I just need to finish the headlight restoration I started. I just finished it tonight and the new seal is drying.

Back