BHJ and pulley problem

spetz01

Pretty sure the Easter Bunny is gonna skip my house this weekend if he heard me under the car today.

031.jpg
[/IMG]

I had heard last fall when i drove it last that my BHJ pulley had a chatter. 1 of the 4 bolts had come loose a while back and that what I thought it was. I was gonna add some locktite to solve the problem.

034.jpg
[/IMG]

To late Jack!!!

The damper had always a little wobble to it, not sure why. It disappeared as the RPM's came up. It's done a little damage to the pulley itself, besides two broken bolts. I didn't do that via tightening. There is an imprint of the BHJ on the back side of the pulley, sit in real nice.

037.jpg
[/IMG]

I guess I can drop the BHJ off at a machine shop for a tap, the pulley I'm not to worried about, bigger washers.

Should I see if this BHJ is out of balance? I'd hate to think what its doing to the motor.

Looks like you used the OE bolts when installing your pulley on the BHJ. Can't do that because they are too long and likely bottomed out the threads rather than tightening the pulley properly.

LOL girl friends Lincoln is plagued with the a demon of a electrical problems. I can't get the brake lights to work...different site different forum.

As for my BHJ.....

I guess I missed the whole part in the BHJ install instructions about the bolts and not using the originals. Nope. Still have them. I guess ink was expensive then so they left it out. All that is explained is do "not beat it on". Thanks for that.

Probably gonna come off as a dick, but come on?? All they had to say was use 1/4" smaller bolts..problem avoided. This and the fact that 26 degree's aren't even marked on the damper. Not alot to ask considering the price. Maybe I'm the first this has happened to?

Don't get me started on BHJ. :mad: For what they charge they did a piss poor job of the whole thing. First they screwed up by making the hub depth different than stock so that the attaching bolt doesn't fully engage the crank threads like it's supposed to requiring a longer main bolt, then they don't tap the pulley holes deep enough, and yes, they didn't bother to mark the thing for 26 deg, and finally they can't be bother to put some sort of coating on the dogone thing so that it doesn't rust to death. These things were all brought to their attention years ago but only recently have I finally noticed that they are starting to at least put in the 26deg mark. For a damper that prices out about the same as an ATI Super Damper, you'd at least think they'd give you accurate instructions. Add to that they have given me attitude when I tried to obtain a distributorship for their products and I don't really have much good to say about them.

All they had to say was use 1/4" smaller bolts..problem avoided.
I just went through this back in October. My buddy caught it and cut the bolts down.

Don't get me started on BHJ. :mad: For what they charge they did a piss poor job of the whole thing.
Good to hear that I'm not the only one.

.....they didn't bother to mark the thing for 26 deg, and finally they can't be bother to put some sort of coating on the dogone thing so that it doesn't rust to death. These things were all brought to their attention years ago but only recently have I finally noticed that they are starting to at least put in the 26deg mark.
Again, after my install, I called BHJ and asked them about the lack of 26 deg timing marks. The guy told me that the majority of engines use up to 10 deg of timing, so they just did that. When I told him that these engines need 26 deg, he was was all shocked. I told him the correct way to set it up, then he asked for my name and number in case they had any more questions. I was amazed that they had no knowledge of that type of info. This balancer better last a LONG time.

Add to that they have given me attitude when I tried to obtain a distributorship for their products and I don't really have much good to say about them.
I got mine from SCP, but did call BHJ first. They quoted me like $575 and told me that SCP has better deals. I got the "cold shoulder" feeling on that call.

I just installed a BHJ and March Pulley and seem to have a slight wobble in mine as well. :mad:

I double checked and made sure the bolt holes were lined up correctly, and installed bolts that were .25 shorter than the stock ones. I even used washers to ensure the bolts were not bottoming out before getting tight? Is it possible the washers have thrown the balance off on the pulley?

Thomas

Well.....for all the pissing and moaning about these dampers it would seem that folks forget that without them they would have NO alternative other than to use an OEM one and who knows how long they will last or be available.

Also it would seem that the folks you bought them from that glammed on to the original group buy done years ago by Steve Webb, should be contacting BHJ and get them to make the changes needed.

Anyone is free to contact another manufactuer and get a better aftermarket one made. That is what competition is about.

I had the same problem, bolt broke also, need to go to a machine shop. I wonder if it will be balanced when repaired. anyone know the correct bolt size when reinstalling?

$147.52 Canadian!!

That's what it just cost me to get mine fixed. I wonder if I can send that bill to the guy I bought it from?

Bump for a reminder....

I had this problem after installing my BHJ/Aluminum crank. Started hearing a clinking and rumbling noise in the engine compartment, but couldn't tell there was a problem by looking. Ended up taking all the belts off and finding the crank pulley was loose! :mad:

I ended up tapping the holes a little further (which, I know are open and the threads actually tap into the hub instead) and measuring the depth of threads before reinstalling. I also used some blue loctite. :p And torqued them to specs again.

I remember reading this thread way back when, but had forgotten the problem. Good thing no severe damage was experienced! Pulley still looked okay, the holes were just a little bit wallered out. :rolleyes:

This also happened to me. I thought I had a rod knocking it was so loud. I pulled the engine to rebuild because of this and when we had it up and out of the engine bay thats when we discovered that I had two bolts broken and that was with the stock pulley and bolts.

Hmmmm!

I installed my BHJ Spec and Alum Pulley like a week before Shootout...
and I used stock size bolts to hold pulley on, maybe this is my knock LoL?

I installed my BHJ Spec and Alum Pulley like a week before Shootout...
and I used stock size bolts to hold pulley on, maybe this is my knock LoL?

It was what caused my knock .. :rolleyes:

Stock length bolts dont work well with BHJ.

- Dan

Nothing seemed loose...

I took off the pulley and all seemed well but there are marks
on the balancer from the deer carnage n and from one part
of the turnpike that had rocks road debris...
If you look close you can see blood n big white marks
in the balancer that look like chalk marks..

Last edited:
On some of the BHJ's depending on when they were made and how thick your aluminum pulley is, you might be able to get by with stock bolts, but in any case it's close enough to where I use a shorter bolt anyway.

Gotcha!

Yeah i was just hoping that my knock was the pulley
coming loose...

And not like a real knock when the trans got hit and went one gear lower
but im not convinced i was going fast enough to
cause motor damage...who knows..

Back