Having some cooling issues (18x12.5x2.5 core)

DMX

Figured i'd ask the experts since you guys have to deal with the supercharged + tiny radiator problem too

This is in the Taurus with the 4.3 windstar motor and supercoupe heads/lower/blower.

At idle it warms up to about ~190 or so and pretty much holds steady there, after a cruise though, even without running it hard the temps begin to climb towards 210, hard runs = about 220 degrees and even after returning to idle in park the temps do not drop back down.

I'm running the Mr Gasket high flow 180* tstat with a 1/8" bleed hole drilled in, also running 50/50 water/coolant and a bottle of water wetter.

I wonder if I simply don't have enough surface area for the radiator to cool effectively, i'm using an all aluminum AFCO 80104N Scirocco style radiator, core size = 18x12.5x2.5 l/h/thickness. I was hoping the extra thickness would help compensate for the smaller surface area compared to the stock taurus rad (about 25x15x1). I have a 10" ebay puller fan+shroud, hard to track down the exact rating but it appears to be about 1200CFM.

Like many of you I have a large FMIC completely blocking the rad, I belive its the common 24x12x3 IC.

Ambient temps ~60-70*F so far, I can see this may be an issue during the summer.

Any suggestions? I'm not sure if
1) I should waste time trying higher CFM fans and/or mounting an additional pusher, or ...
2) Is that radiator is simply no good and I should look elsewhere, perhaps another brand of similar dimensions or do I NEED more thickness? surface area? I'm hoping to get something about overall 13" tall max, about 28" wide max.

Is the current radiator cross-flow or top/down...?

In any case, my guess is that the fan you're using isn't up to the job. I'd replace it before I replaced the radiator.

If you have an IR temp gun, you might be able to spot check it just to help decide the issue.

I believe its crossflow (side tanks), its a double pass dual row radiator. I guess i'm wondering since its in the "AFCO Scirocco Style Drag Racing Radiators" section - not 100% sure how significant the "drag racing" moniker is , my thoughts are cooling capacity is cooling capacity - regardless of the application. I'm just not sure this has enough.

Is there any rough correlation between rad surface area and hp rating ? How about fan CFM vs hp for a given rad.

I'm with KMT you're fan is probably not up to the task. Any reason you pulled the stock fan and radiator out? If possible I would try the stock stuff, double pass radiator may require more pump than you have as well.

I'm with KMT you're fan is probably not up to the task. Any reason you pulled the stock fan and radiator out? If possible I would try the stock stuff, double pass radiator may require more pump than you have as well.

Everything is a little tighter in the Taurus engine bay, I envy you guys. There wasn't enough room for FMIC tubing and rad to exist side by side so I had to go over the top of the rad - which limits me to ~13" max radiator height (perhaps another inch or so If I cut and weld). I'll try the cheaper alternative of a better fan before I look into a custom rad.

Back