Towing a M5R2

BLOWN38

SCCoA Member
If I put a SC on a car dolly with rear wheels on the ground and tow it 900 miles will it ruin the tailshaft bushing? Does it have a bushing? Or do I just need to disconnect the driveshaft, or tow it backwards?

It doesn't take much to un-bolt the driveshaft and move it forward enough to strap it out of the way. Thats what I would do if I wanted to flat tow it and was able to get underneath it. You need to be able to lift the car to do this.

Chris

If I put a SC on a car dolly with rear wheels on the ground and tow it 900 miles will it ruin the tailshaft bushing? Does it have a bushing? Or do I just need to disconnect the driveshaft, or tow it backwards?

Just tow it Chris. It will be fine. There is no pump in a manual. If the Mainshaft and the countershaft are turning inside the tranny, everything is getting proper lubrication. Wether the engine is running or not. Nothing at all to worry about as long as the tranny has fluid in it.

Uhhhhhhhhhh...yeah...Pull the ds. I will have to pull the top cover off of mine to see if it will spin the bottom shaft. The reason he is asking is because of this. There is fluid inside the gearbox we all know. If the input shaft is spinning, the counter shaft (or some shaft) is spinning and fluid is being slung up onto the main shaft. If it is not spinning anything in the shaft when you pull it, you can indeed screw it up. There are larger vehicles that do this (not sure which ones) but they usually had the old school 4 speeds in them.

SWS

YOu could tow it backwards too. Just use a club or something on the steering wheel if you want that extra warm fuzzy feeling.

YOu could tow it backwards too. Just use a club or something on the steering wheel if you want that extra warm fuzzy feeling.

I did that once... took forever, thing swayed everywhere, but then again I was using a short bed regular cab f150. Now I'll be towing wth a diesel excursion.

Disconnect the driveshaft.

With the engine stopped the counter shaft will not be spinning. In fact none of the gears will be spinning, only the mainshaft and synchro hubs as the mainshaft passes through each of the gears and into the back of the input shaft. So that's three sets of needle bearings, one for each gear on the mainshaft, and the front mainshaft support that will be spinning at high speed differentials for extended periods that they were never designed for with potentially reduced lubrication.

I know people claim success in towing standard trans cars on the ground, but then again you never hear about the trans overhaul the car needed 10-15K miles later. Just like the guy who brags that his 1/2 ton pickup was just fine after being loaded down to the bump stops with sheetrock/concrete/river rock but fails to mention the rear axle rebuild needed a few months later after a wheel bearing started coming apart and metal contaminated every last item in the axle.

Back